[SOLVED] Boot up problems with SSD: Windows 10 installation of 970 EVO 1`TB NVME

Helpme34

Honorable
Aug 28, 2014
I have the following relevant hardware.
Motherboard: ASUS H97-Plus

SSD:
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVME

The old SSD is the 850 EVO 250GB which has my operating system on. I attempted to clone the SSD but was unsuccessful using a third party software. I wasn't able to find the 970 EVO is the boot option whenever I attempted this. I even changed the BIOS from Legacy to UEFI in an attempt to improve this.

Eventually I gave up and attempted a fresh install of windows using a boot USB drive onto the 970 EVO 1TB. This installation failed multiple times until I updated the BIOS firmware on my motherboard after which it appeared to be successful but now I have the following problem.

Whenever the computer first boot up the system crashes. It does one of two things:
Gives me this error:
https://imageshack.com/i/pmMgnCQfj

Or gves me this classic crash screen:
https://imageshack.com/i/pnnHubb3j

I then go to the boot screen
https://imageshack.com/i/pom39j4mj

I've made it the boot priority to boot from the 970SSD because it should work but it doesn't, gives me the same crash screen.

The work around solution is that I now manually do the following boot menu:
https://imageshack.com/i/polcOU2oj

If i select:
Windows Boot Manager (P1: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB)

I am then prompted with this screen
https://imageshack.com/i/pmlfgbfKj

If I select Windows 10 on Volume 2 I am able to successfully load into windows on my fresh install on the 970 EVO 1TB... however... Every time I reboot I have to do this weird work around.

Here is the other odd thing I noticed. On my disk management it shows the following:
https://imageshack.com/i/pm7FpS4Tj

It shows disc 0 which is my 970 EVO as one partition...
And continues to show the partitions on my EVO 850 with the system still being on partition #1...
I formatted the EVO 850 thinking that this would wipe the drive and fix my problem but it hasn't.

What have I done to my computer?

My next step in order to fix this problem was I unplug the EVO 850 SSD and try to do another fresh install on the EVO 970 so hopefully it stops trying to boot up from the 850 SSD which I think is my problem?

Appreciate any and all feedback.
Thank you for your time

Solution
Does it actually require all other drives to be disconnected? I didn't know that I thought it was possible to do it while other drives are connecetd?

Will give that a try, thank you
Yes, all other drives need to be physically disconnected.
If any other drives are present, the boot partition may end up on one of the others. If there is already an OS on one of them, it will simply add this install to that, and you end up with a weird dualboot.
Which you DO NOT WANT.

ANd different formatting on the other drive may prevent install on the NVMe completely.

Helpme34

Honorable
Aug 28, 2014
Did not try the Samsung Data Migration tool but I'm afraid that it's more of a BIOS problem now as the old SSD EVO 850 has been formatted, and the new SSD 970 does not seem to be booting on its own.

I assume the Samsung Data Migration tool would be if I were trying to clone again?

I did a fresh install and all my old settings to my knowledge have been formatted away.

USAFRet

Titan
Did not try the Samsung Data Migration tool but I'm afraid that it's more of a BIOS problem now as the old SSD EVO 850 has been formatted, and the new SSD 970 does not seem to be booting on its own.
Well, if the original drive is gone, you're out there without a paddle.

With boards of H97 vintage, booting from NVMe is an iffy proposition.
Not all of them can, even if they have an M.2 port.

Few if any did from the factory. Only with a BIOS update that specifically addressed that.
And I'm only seeing one BIOS update, from March 2016.

Secondary storage, yes. Boot, maybe not.

You may be completely out of luck making this boot from that 970 EVO.

Your only way forward might be just a fresh install on the original 850.

Helpme34

Honorable
Aug 28, 2014
And I'm okay without cloning, I took my important files and put them in a non-bootable separate hard drive so no big deal.

It's just a pain in the butt!

I did do a search regarding the H97 models and this particular SSD and here's what the all powerful google came up with:
"Does H97 support NVMe?
With the latest BIOS, MSI X99/Z97/H97 motherboards can support NVMe devices as primary storage under Windows7 64bit and Windows8. 1 64bit and fully support NVMe booting."

This made me hopeful but maybe it just won't work!

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
And I'm okay without cloning, I took my important files and put them in a non-bootable separate hard drive so no big deal.

It's just a pain in the butt!

I did do a search regarding the H97 models and this particular SSD and here's what the all powerful google came up with:
"Does H97 support NVMe?
With the latest BIOS, MSI X99/Z97/H97 motherboards can support NVMe devices as primary storage under Windows7 64bit and Windows8. 1 64bit and fully support NVMe booting."

This made me hopeful but maybe it just won't work!

Thanks!
Where was that text from? (not google) And that is MSI boards. You have a Asus.
Do you indeed have the latest BIOS?

My current ASRock Z97 did not have that capability out of the box.
Only a later BIOS update. And even then, the port on this is only 1/2 speed.

Helpme34

Honorable
Aug 28, 2014
I do indeed have the latest BIOS! I wasn't even able to install windows on the EVO 970 prior to updating the BIOS. In regards to it supporting NVME you're right I misquoted the MSI article. I know this isn't perfect but every PC build seems to indicate to me that it is compatible. PC picker for example.

I think my next step would be to unplug all other drives and just try to do another fresh install or attempt to fresh install on the 970 EVO. Unless you have another suggestion. Then if that doesn't work I know I'll just have to make do with the EVO 250.

USAFRet

Titan
I do indeed have the latest BIOS! I wasn't even able to install windows on the EVO 970 prior to updating the BIOS. In regards to it supporting NVME you're right I misquoted the MSI article. I know this isn't perfect but every PC build seems to indicate to me that it is compatible. PC picker for example.

I think my next step would be to unplug all other drives and just try to do another fresh install or attempt to fresh install on the 970 EVO. Unless you have another suggestion. Then if that doesn't work I know I'll just have to make do with the EVO 250.
For an OS install, having all other drives disconnected is the ONLY way to go, no matter what type drive it is.

Give a clean install one more try with the 970. No other devices connected.
If it still fails, fall back to the SATA SSD and use the 970 for other stuff.

Helpme34

Honorable
Aug 28, 2014
Does it actually require all other drives to be disconnected? I didn't know that I thought it was possible to do it while other drives are connecetd?

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, all other drives need to be physically disconnected.
If any other drives are present, the boot partition may end up on one of the others. If there is already an OS on one of them, it will simply add this install to that, and you end up with a weird dualboot.
Which you DO NOT WANT.

ANd different formatting on the other drive may prevent install on the NVMe completely.

Solution