[SOLVED] Boot up stuck at blue screen with clock and power icon, no log in options or account (not BSOD)

Apr 9, 2021
About a year ago I installed a 250G Mushkin MVME drive and transferred Win 10 from a standard SSD. Ever since, about every 3-4 months it will partially boot but wont finish so we can see the profiles and log in. Win Back up sucks because it can never find the damn disc image I save every weekend. Anyways, last time this happened I did a fresh win 10 install then restore from Win Disc image from inside Windows. This was a failure as it not even restore the prior accounts and about 1/2 of the installed programs. So I started using Aomei Back Upper and saved a disc image weekly (starting 2/27/21) Earlier this week, my wife tells me it took for ever for her account log in to come up and then the system ran very slowly. I started her up and ended up with a blue screen that told me what time it was and that the "not connected" symbol. I hit space and the power button icon and the options for people with disability icon but again no log in option. Had to hard reset and tried to load Aomei Repair Environment that I had installed and that did not work. Booted Aomei Back Up with USB thumb drive and reverted back to last weekends image. Restore ran fast and smooth, I made sure to have it restore all sectors in case the MBR was part of the issue. No good, same damn blue screen.

Windows repair disc would not load so I used a Win 10 install disk to get to Command Prompt/Windows PowerShell. Used bootrec.exe /fixmber command and a second similar one I cannot recall. No good. Tried restoring to the original Aomei disc image from 2/27/21. That operation completed with no change. Last ditch effort was to let it sit and run overnight to see if it just loaded super slowly, no dice, still stuck with blue.

It has been just over a month since I did the full new windows install. This is damn ridiculous. I don't know if it has anything to do with the NVME drive or not but this is a total PITA.
MB: Asrock B450 Steel Legend, CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

Solution
on the screen with power options,
open the power options screen
while holding shift, click the restart button
it should restart PC into windows recovery/advanced startup
if it does, see if you can get into safe mode
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

sometimes just going into safe mode and exiting again can fix problems. so give that a try.
its an usual problem, I haven't seen it before.

try running this in safe mode
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window...

Colif

Win 11 Master
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.

sometimes just going into safe mode and exiting again can fix problems. so give that a try.

right click start button
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth (if you type this out, spacing is important)
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Solution
Apr 9, 2021
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button

right click start button
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth (if you type this out, spacing is important)
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC
Thank you so much. I will try all of those options when I get home.

Apr 9, 2021
Thank you so much. I will try all of those options when I get home.
Ok. Was not able to get safe mode to come up, tried getting to it using the power on, hold power button 2+x's approach, did not work. Got to an option to restart into Safemode by getting into repair modes. No luck. Stuck like chucjk.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i thought you could get to the logon screen in win 10, even though it only showed power & clock, that was where you can get to safe mode from - it doesn't work just from the boot screen unless you set it up before hand. it can be done but I don't think its worth it, there is something broken with your installs

I don't get why you keep getting the same error. I think its associated with fact you keep loading an image onto it once its installed, and something might be wrong with your images. It could also be your user profile is bugged, I have seen them break but not like this.

You might need to clean install and not run any images onto it. You might need to start fresh with applications. You should be able to save all the data, I can show you how to get most of it off PC now

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

1. boot from installer
  2. on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  3. choose troubleshoot
  4. choose advanced
  5. choose command prompt
  6. type notepad and press enter
  7. in notepad, select file>open
  8. Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd
when you clean install, only have the nvme in pc, no other drives. can add them again once PC boots (if you have other drives). Win 10 might put parts of itself on other drives if given chance.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021
i thought you could get to the logon screen in win 10, even though it only showed power & clock, that was where you can get to safe mode from - it doesn't work just from the boot screen unless you set it up before hand. it can be done but I don't think its worth it, there is something broken with your installs

I don't get why you keep getting the same error. I think its associated with fact you keep loading an image onto it once its installed, and something might be wrong with your images. It could also be your user profile is bugged, I have seen them break but not like this.

You might need to clean install and not run any images onto it. You might need to start fresh with applications. You should be able to save all the data, I can show you how to get most of it off PC now

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

1. boot from installer
  2. on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  3. choose troubleshoot
  4. choose advanced
  5. choose command prompt
  6. type notepad and press enter
  7. in notepad, select file>open
  8. Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd
when you clean install, only have the nvme in pc, no other drives. can add them again once PC boots (if you have other drives). Win 10 might put parts of itself on other drives if given chance.
I can get to the logon screen with just the clock and the power button. I never said anything about safe mode until I tried to get there at your suggestion. It makes sense the my original back image made with Microsoft's back up program is corrupted, because I restore to that after my fresh install 5 weeks ago. Thanks for your time,