[SOLVED] BOOT_DEVICE lit up from nowhere

Aug 15, 2019
Hi,

I am going crazy soon because i cant solve this problem, hopefully you guys can help me out. My computer restarted it self when i was in a game(i thought it was Windows-update) and then it just freeze at boot up. It says 'Press DEL' to enter BIOS but it wont boot BIOS.

Also this message flashed for a halv second "Detecting drives; Done; No drivers found."

On my motherboard the lamp BOOT_DEVICE started to light up.

I have one SSD drive(windows installed here) and one HDD drive for storage.

I have tryed:
  • Disable both drives, then i could access BIOS.
  • Only having HDD connected, here i could connect to the BIOS but dont know what to do.
  • Only having SSD connected, also tryed to change the SATA cables that worked on HDD without result.
  • Clearing CMOS.

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V
CPU: Intel i7-2600k
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970

Thanks in advance.

1) Open the case, make your boot device is connected into the 1st SATA port ( it maybe the 0_SATA port, check the MB manual)

2) Download the win10 into the USB, ( if you used win7, then download the win7) after that, try the startup repair method to fix the boot problem, if you can't, and only thing to do: reinstall the OS.
Startup repair: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-startup-repair-fix-boot-problems-windows-10

Solution
Aug 15, 2019
That sounds like your SSD has stopped working. What is your SSD and how old is it?

Its a "Samsung 850 PRO 256GB"
Model: MZ-7KE256

It have a few years, maybe 4-5, on its neck but not sure when its bought.

1) Open the case, make your boot device is connected into the 1st SATA port ( it maybe the 0_SATA port, check the MB manual)

2) Download the win10 into the USB, ( if you used win7, then download the win7) after that, try the startup repair method to fix the boot problem, if you can't, and only thing to do: reinstall the OS.
Startup repair: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-startup-repair-fix-boot-problems-windows-10

1) SSD was connected to the SATA_1, also tryed with SATA_2 without any success.
Edit: No SATA_0 on this motherboard.

2) Can i do this step without getting it to boot at all?

You could try power cycling your SSD.
  1. Crack open your PC and remove the SATA data connection from your SSD, but leave the power in.
  2. Turn on your PC and leave it idling for 30-60 minutes.
  3. Turn off your PC and remove unplug the power from the SSD for at least 30 seconds.
  4. Now you can either repeat steps 2 and 3 (as many times as makes you feel OK) or plug everything back in and try to boot your PC normally.
Here is a link to the full article.

Aug 15, 2019
  1. Crack open your PC and remove the SATA data connection from your SSD, but leave the power in.
  3. Turn off your PC and remove unplug the power from the SSD for at least 30 seconds.
  4. Now you can either repeat steps 2 and 3 (as many times as makes you feel OK) or plug everything back in and try to boot your PC normally.

Thanks, i will read the article and do the steps after working.

Aug 15, 2019

So i did the as the article said and to be on the safe side i did repeat the process 3 times and it was without any result.

Is there any more ways to try and save the SSD or is the SSD done?