Bootable software tools for PC troubleshooting?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
What bootable software tools do PC techs use for PC troubleshooting? ..if any.
I know in OS X it's very useful to boot form a bootable OS X hard drive or SSD with some tools. Not sure if this is done with PCs (perhaps because the needed drivers for all PCs can't be put into a single bootable Windows, I don't know). I heard about Hiren's boot CD (not sure it's legal?) and Ultimate Boot CD, not sure if they're good at all.

Hello rodion15

While troubleshooting a Windows computer, it is extremely rare that any drivers are needed. Most advanced administrators use the Command Line Window to Troubleshoot Windows.

About the Hiren's Boot Disk, since its license version is available, I assume it is not illegal to use the program as long as you use the genuine and authentic means to get it.

Also, many times the administrators and users Boot Windows in Safe Mode or use Advanced Boot Options and go to the Troubleshoot window to begin Windows troubleshooting using their preferred procedure with the help of any of the available methods.

Hope this helps. Cheers!! :)

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

I was thinking of dead-hard-drive scenarios and needed tools to backup/restore/recover files, format and partition, virus removal, etc. Thanks for your answer.