Bootable Windows 8 USB... On a Mac

turtleinacatsuit

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
Hi guys, I got a new motherboard and CPU, only to discover I'll need to re install windows.
Well, I intend to settle with Windows 8, and am attempting to create a boot disk with Boot Camp Assistant, but have yet to have any luck.

The only computer I have access to right now is a Mac, and Windows support claims that you can't create a Windows 8 boot disk on a Mac, but I suspect that this simply isn't true.

Tl;dr: If I purchase a download of Windows 8.1 from microsoftstore, can I create a boot disk for my PC via Boot Camp Assistant, or some other program?

Moderator warning: We are not friendly towards the use of torrents and as such do not endorse them, refrain from such posts
-
Lutfij

Solution
FWIW, torrented Windows Installations always have stow away's. These can be detrimental to both you and the machine. If you are in a work environment, the down time will definitely kill any and/or all prospective output.

Just a friendly reminder
:)

turtleinacatsuit

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

Did you even read to the end?
I'm happy to pay for it, that's what my question is.

If I BUY Windows 8 from Microsoftstore, can I create a bootdisk on a mac?
The only reason I'm attempting to torrent is so I know whether or not it's possible in the meantime.

Last resort I go to BestBuy and get a dvd, but I'd prefer not to do this.

weilin

Distinguished
what makes your license unique/legal is your key not the disk. If you have a friend who has a Windows 8 disk feel free to borrow it. It's perfectly legal as long as you use your own key.

I'm not aware of any legal means to acquire just the Windows 8 disk (other than MSDN subscription).

edit: Actually, I thought of another way. Call Microsoft, replacement media for software you already own is $25 a copy. I don't know if this is still valid but it was 10 years ago when I scratched a video game disk.

turtleinacatsuit

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

I intend to purchase the download from microsoft and put it on a usb, I'm trying to avoid getting a DVD at all costs

weilin

Distinguished
You're certainly welcome to call Microsoft and see what they think. They may be able to help. I've never purchased anything from the Microsoft Store before.

Another option you may be able to try is to walk into a Microsoft Store (if there's a physical store near you). The people at the desk may be able to lend you a disk for you to make a USB installer. It's a long shot though...

turtleinacatsuit

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

Yeah this is what I've followed, I can get the Windows 8 "setup is starting" screen, and I got it to go further earlier, but I haven't been able to allocate disk space yet, still working on it.
I'm just going to buy the CD tomorrow at the store, cause I don't want to risk it.

Lutfij

Titan
FWIW, torrented Windows Installations always have stow away's. These can be detrimental to both you and the machine. If you are in a work environment, the down time will definitely kill any and/or all prospective output.

Just a friendly reminder
:)

Solution