After messing around with re-partitioning and re-installing, I now
have five (5) boot options, only two of which actually exist. Looking
in Help, it says there's BOOTCFG DELETE at Command Prompt which will
get rid of the exta entries. However, it's lying. Not recognized as
an internal command, executable or batch file. Do I have to load this
from some obscure Utilities CD?

I would think that's BOOTCFG /DELETE, but Help shows it without the
slash.

I get BOOTCFG in the Recovery Console (booting from WinXP CD), but it
doesn't have the DELETE switch (or option, or whatever).

Ed, read about Bootcfg and it's options here. There is no delete option.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058