[SOLVED] Booted up my PC and found I have no MS security active.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
I used to have the free Malware bytes active (4 week freebie). It ran out and I assumed virus protection would return to MS Security like it always does in my other PCs. But this time it appears I have no protection at all now. see: Screenshot

I have tried to get MS Securities active again, but it is not responding. Clicking on restart does nothing. I've clicked on it several times but nothing happens. Like it isn't responding. I've rebooted several times but nothing changes. Yet, the MSS icon in my tray shows normal; green check mark. How do I get MSS running again? Or is it? Screenshot
I can't get it to scan or anything, Help.

i5-2500K
Intel DH61VR
16 GB DDR3
GTX 1650
Win 10 Home

Update: Now the green check mark on the MSS icon in my tray has changed to a red X.

Last edited:
I used to have the free Malware bytes active (4 week freebie). It ran out and I assumed virus protection would return to MS Security like it always does in my other PCs. But this time it appears I have no protection at all now. see: Screenshot

I have tried to get MS Securities active again, but it is not responding. Clicking on restart does nothing. I've clicked on it several times but nothing happens. Like it isn't responding. I've rebooted several times but nothing changes. Yet, the MSS icon in my tray shows normal; green check mark. How do I get MSS running again? Or is it? Screenshot
I can't get it to scan or anything, Help.

i5-2500K
Intel DH61VR
16 GB DDR3
GTX 1650
Win 10 Home

Update: Now the green check mark on the MSS icon in my tray has changed to a red X.
Does MBAM show as an installed program?

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
mbam is gone now. Screenshot
I ran the malwarebytes uninstall app.

I don't know this for a fact, but it appears that defender is running, but Win 10 lost its ability to user-interface with it. Awhile ago I did a windows update and it found a new anti-virus profile that it appeared to download and install w/o issue. Just like nothing was wrong.

I guess it's time for a W10 clean install. Because even when I restore from a disk image, MWB is back just long enough to disable its 4 wk. full version demo. That's when Defender screws up, and leaves me back where I was.

Last edited:
I ran the malwarebytes uninstall app
I was about to suggest that. Since its completely uninstalled now, it cannot be the reason anymore. Might be some other conflict somewhere.

I don't know this for a fact, but it appears that defender is running, but Win 10 lost its ability to user-interface with it. Awhile ago I did a windows update and it found a new anti-virus profile that it appeared to download and install w/o issue. Just like nothing was wrong.
I am not sure if this varies from machine to machine, which it shouldn't, but your Defender seems to be missing some elements when compared to my Win 10 machine screenshot

Seems like clean install is your best option here.

mbam is gone now. Screenshot
I ran the malwarebytes uninstall app.

I guess it's time for a W10 clean install. Because even when I restore from a disk image, MWB is back just long enough to disable its 4 wk. full version demo. That's when Defender screws up, and leaves me back where I was.
I don't understand how mbam has anything to do with this if you restored an image that did not contain mbam.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Again, thank you all for your assistance. However, this whole thing is now a moot point. I was forced to do a clean install of W10, and I just finished getting things back to normal on the PC. I needed the machine back to its usual self w/defender working properly.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
I was about to suggest that. Since its completely uninstalled now, it cannot be the reason anymore. Might be some other conflict somewhere.

I am not sure if this varies from machine to machine, which it shouldn't, but your Defender seems to be missing some elements when compared to my Win 10 machine screenshot

Seems like clean install is your best option here.
That is an interesting thought. I'll save that image in case it ever happens again. (y)