News Booting a Raspberry Pi 5 From an NVMe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScrappyLaptop

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
So instead of wasting an nvme drive, just get a SATA m.2 drive. Has all the speed you need on that connection.
Sure, except I bet many people have a few early, small nvme drives lying around. I've got a handful of 128 & 256 GB low-mile drives from upgrades that I never found a use for.

Reactions: DaveWis

DaveWis

Prominent
Feb 14, 2023
Jeff Gering should be given a lot of love for this.

Most "influencers" (I hate that word) seem to spend all their time and effort trying to sell people stuff for a commission. Jeff, on the other hand, has been consistently poking at the storage subsystem of the Raspberry PI for several years with his crazy projects.

It would be interesting to see a Venn diagram of Jeff and people who looked up how to get the most out of the storage subsystem of their RPI on the internet.

Here is to many more years and releases of the PI. It might not be the cheapest or fastest SBC on the market, But, unlike the clones, the Raspberry PI foundation has a larger portion of its staff working on the open-source software side of the project to make sure the hardware bits work well together. Then the clone benefits from that software development and innovation.

I personally, would like to see a resurgence at the low-price end of their lineup. I have migrated most of the simple services that I started experimenting with on the Pi's to a mini PC running docker. All of my remaining Pi projects either use the camera (which is awesome), are physically located outside of my workshop, or are in mobile robots.

KraakBal

Reputable
May 23, 2020
I think Jeff Geerling mentioned you can try Pci 3.0 mode.in a config file, but it might not work for everything.

Here's hoping the official HAT will make most ssds work on 3.0.
Doubling the speed would make it way more worth it than an old sata ssd over usb

Status
Not open for further replies.