booting from a floppy (Latitude)

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Luap <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote:
>Will a Latitude boot from a Parallel floppy drive?

No, though it will boot from a USB {floppy, CD, hard drive, thumb
drive, etc} as well as all D-Bay drives.
 

luap

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
35
0
18,530
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

William P.N. Smith wrote:
> Luap <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Will a Latitude boot from a Parallel floppy drive?
>
>
> No, though it will boot from a USB {floppy, CD, hard drive, thumb
> drive, etc} as well as all D-Bay drives.
>

Sorry, should have said Latitude LS, which I believe will not boot from
a USB floppy. Seems to be conflicting evidence whether it will from a
parallel floppy.
Paul
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It WILL boot from the floppy connected to the external drive connector.
Just needs the special cable and pretty much any Dell drive.

That's not a parallel connection.

Tom
"Luap" <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote in message
news:35p8nbF4opr6sU1@individual.net...
> William P.N. Smith wrote:
>> Luap <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Will a Latitude boot from a Parallel floppy drive?
>>
>>
>> No, though it will boot from a USB {floppy, CD, hard drive, thumb
>> drive, etc} as well as all D-Bay drives.
>>
>
> Sorry, should have said Latitude LS, which I believe will not boot from a
> USB floppy. Seems to be conflicting evidence whether it will from a
> parallel floppy.
> Paul
 

luap

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
35
0
18,530
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom Scales wrote:
> It WILL boot from the floppy connected to the external drive connector.
> Just needs the special cable and pretty much any Dell drive.
>
> That's not a parallel connection.

I know that already. But I asked about booting from a prallel floppy.
Paul
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yes, but many people confuse the connectors, so I was ensuring that you did.

Happy to be of help.

Tom
"Luap" <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote in message
news:35pdaqF4nphijU1@individual.net...
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> It WILL boot from the floppy connected to the external drive connector.
>> Just needs the special cable and pretty much any Dell drive.
>>
>> That's not a parallel connection.
>
> I know that already. But I asked about booting from a prallel floppy.
> Paul
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The usual rule of thumb is that neither desktop computer nor notebook can boot
from a parallel port floppy. These devices are add-ons almost always lacking
BIOS support.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:30:49 +0100, Luap <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote:

>Tom Scales wrote:
>> It WILL boot from the floppy connected to the external drive connector.
>> Just needs the special cable and pretty much any Dell drive.
>>
>> That's not a parallel connection.
>
>I know that already. But I asked about booting from a prallel floppy.
>Paul
 

luap

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
35
0
18,530
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Ben Myers wrote:
> The usual rule of thumb is that neither desktop computer nor notebook can boot
> from a parallel port floppy. These devices are add-ons almost always lacking
> BIOS support.
>
> ... Ben Myers

That's exactly what I was thinking, but I heard somewhere that "Dell's
are designed to boot from the parallel".
Paul
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Luap <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote:
>I heard somewhere that "Dell's
>are designed to boot from the parallel".

I had a laptop many moons ago (maybe a Gateway Solo?) that could use
the parallel port as a floppy interface, so there _are_ some laptops
that (presumably) have parallel floppy support in the BIOS, but unless
it came with the computer you probably haven't a prayer of making it
work.
 

luap

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
35
0
18,530
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom Scales wrote:
> Yes, but many people confuse the connectors, so I was ensuring that you did.
>
> Happy to be of help.
>
> Tom

OK, thanks. In any case, my BIOS doesn't appear to support floppy booting.
Paul
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Luap" <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote in message
news:35qacmF4njug6U1@individual.net...
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> Yes, but many people confuse the connectors, so I was ensuring that you
>> did.
>>
>> Happy to be of help.
>>
>> Tom
>
> OK, thanks. In any case, my BIOS doesn't appear to support floppy booting.
> Paul

Not sure I understand. It certainly does from the Floppy connected with the
special cable. It doesn't show up as a choice if not connected, I don't
think.

Tom
 

luap

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
35
0
18,530
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom Scales wrote:
> "Luap" <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:35qacmF4njug6U1@individual.net...
>
>>Tom Scales wrote:
>>
>>>Yes, but many people confuse the connectors, so I was ensuring that you
>>>did.
>>>
>>>Happy to be of help.
>>>
>>>Tom
>>
>>OK, thanks. In any case, my BIOS doesn't appear to support floppy booting.
>>Paul
>
>
> Not sure I understand. It certainly does from the Floppy connected with the
> special cable. It doesn't show up as a choice if not connected, I don't
> think.
>
> Tom
>
>

I meant it doesn't support booting from a Parallel floppy - sorry for
confusion.
Paul
 

luap

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
35
0
18,530
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

William P.N. Smith wrote:
> Luap <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I heard somewhere that "Dell's
>>are designed to boot from the parallel".
>
>
> I had a laptop many moons ago (maybe a Gateway Solo?) that could use
> the parallel port as a floppy interface, so there _are_ some laptops
> that (presumably) have parallel floppy support in the BIOS, but unless
> it came with the computer you probably haven't a prayer of making it
> work.


Just got an A drive and CD drive and they boot from the media port And
parallel port.
Paul
 

luap

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
35
0
18,530
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Luap wrote:
> William P.N. Smith wrote:
>
>> Luap <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I heard somewhere that "Dell's are designed to boot from the parallel".
>>
>>
>>
>> I had a laptop many moons ago (maybe a Gateway Solo?) that could use
>> the parallel port as a floppy interface, so there _are_ some laptops
>> that (presumably) have parallel floppy support in the BIOS, but unless
>> it came with the computer you probably haven't a prayer of making it
>> work.
>
>
>
> Just got an A drive and CD drive and they boot from the media port And
> parallel port.
> Paul


Correction, the floppy boots from the parallel, the CD does not.
Paul
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY