[SOLVED] Booting from new harddrive, however new drive doesn't become (C:)

GustavEngvall

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Alright so recently I decided to upgrade my laptop storage from a HDD with 150-ish GB of storage, to a 500GB SSD. To my surprise, when opening up the computer there was no harddrive in the slot where the SATA-cable was, which meant that the current harddrive was integrated/out of reach elsewere in the laptop. Anyway after connecting my new SSD, and cloning my HDD to the SSD, I restarted the laptop, opened the Boot Menu and proceeded to boot from the new 500GB SSD, but when I logged in to Windows I noticed that the new SSD was not the (C:) drive. This is a bit problematic as my 1:1 hardrive clone makes programs dependant on the lettering of the drives. The laptop runs fine, but I'm not getting the SSD performance. I speculate that disconnecting the HDD, then booting would solve this problem, however I do not think that is possible as it is integrated. I've tried changing HDDs letter in Windows 10 disc manager, however that just promts an error message.

I hope I've done a decent enough explanation of my situation for you to understand. What do you think would be the solution to this problem? How can I make my SSD the main (C:) drive? Would it be possible to deactivate my HDD completely, without unplugging it? Any feedback would be helpful!

Laptop: HP ProBook 430 G4

Solution
To my surprise, when opening up the computer there was no harddrive in the slot where the SATA-cable was, which meant that the current harddrive was integrated/out of reach elsewere in the laptop.
That means - your laptop already had SSD drive - in M.2 form factor. Probably 128GB model.

Just use your new SSD for secondary storage.

IMG_20161116_151047.jpg
To my surprise, when opening up the computer there was no harddrive in the slot where the SATA-cable was, which meant that the current harddrive was integrated/out of reach elsewere in the laptop.
That means - your laptop already had SSD drive - in M.2 form factor. Probably 128GB model.

IMG_20161116_151047.jpg

Last edited:
Solution

GustavEngvall

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

IMG_20161116_151047.jpg
Yes, you're right on! I noticed this a few hours after posting, I was a bit stuck up on that the computer didn't have
a M.2 slot after reading about the model online. Well, well, you can't complain about two SSDs!