[SOLVED] Booting from new NVME

BryanMohr

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2013
I am running Windows 10 Pro 64 and booting from a NVME drive with no problem. I wanted to install Windows 10 Pro 64 onto a new NVME drive, make that my "primary" drive and format the old NVME for storage. I got the new NVME all set up and when I boot the system it asks which Windows to load, as it should. But, if I remove the old NVME drive and just try to boot straight into the new drive, the computer says there are no valid operating systems found. As soon as I put back the old drive, it works perfectly.

Does anyone know how I can make the new NVME work without the old NVME installed in the system? I obviously can't wipe out the original NVME drive now since I wouldn't be able to boot the system at all.

Solution
My suggestion is to clone your original ssd to the new one.
If the new is samsung, use their ssd migration app.
Otherwise macrium reflect can do the job.
Then remove the original to test that the clone worked properly.
Later you can reformat the old.
that may require an external usb adapter go be able to access it without booting confusion.
D

Deleted member 362816

When you install windows 10 on the new drive make sure at that moment during install only that drive is hooked up. Sometimes the boot config is installed to another drive. I have had this same thing happen when I have a nvme in and a hdd spinner. I always make sure just during install to have only 1 drive hooked up.

BryanMohr

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2013
Good advice. Unfortunately that's not what I did. So, is there a way to fix it now that it is the way it is?

I've already got the new installation fully installed and setup with all of my apps re-registered. I'm hoping to avoid spending another day or two re-installing windows and apps, again.

My suggestion is to clone your original ssd to the new one.
If the new is samsung, use their ssd migration app.
Otherwise macrium reflect can do the job.
Then remove the original to test that the clone worked properly.
Later you can reformat the old.
that may require an external usb adapter go be able to access it without booting confusion.

Solution
D

Deleted member 362816

Good advice. Unfortunately that's not what I did. So, is there a way to fix it now that it is the way it is?

I've already got the new installation fully installed and setup with all of my apps re-registered. I'm hoping to avoid spending another day or two re-installing windows and apps, again.

Go into disk manager, if it installed a 100mb efi partition to the old drive it will never boot without it installed.