Booting from ssd, please insert proper boot device

h2nzz

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
I used 1TB HDD in uefi only so far, but now i bought a Samsung Evo 850 SSD. I unplugged the HDD, changed the SSD to GPT and installed the win10 from a USB on it. Ater that i restart the pc, disconnect the usb, and set the SSD in first place in the boot order. I get the please insert proper boot device screen. I tried to switch the new SSD over into the port that the old HDD was in, i tried to set the partition active with diskpart, but i couldn't because it is not a fixed mbr.
What should i do?

gigabyte b150m-d3h motherboard,

Solution
did you already update your SATA AHCI drivers for your mobo? can you doublecheck the support site? there should be a usb preinstaller there most likely, your mobo is kinda old.
use your win10 installer. then on the screen when you see your drive. click on "load drivers". you may need to update your BIOS as well.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
you didnt have to do all that. just go to the BIOS.
* change SATA mode to AHCI
* change Boot mode to CSM disabled/UEFI enabled/UEFI+legacy depending on your BIOS
* disable secure boot (ignore if missing)

remove all the SATA drives except for your SSD. and repeat your windows install from the beginning. delete all the partitions from your previous attempt.

h2nzz

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018

I tried with and without CSM and i got the same result :(
BIOS_Features_15-08-07.png

BIOS_Features_15-12-22.png

SATA_Configuration_15-08-29.png

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
did you already update your SATA AHCI drivers for your mobo? can you doublecheck the support site? there should be a usb preinstaller there most likely, your mobo is kinda old.
use your win10 installer. then on the screen when you see your drive. click on "load drivers". you may need to update your BIOS as well.

Solution