[SOLVED] Booting from USB on Asus Bios not working

JHolderness

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2014
I've had big problems with a black screen of death on Win10, so I've tried to reinstall it using a USB stick with the Win10 ISO.

Despite the USB being recognised by the BIOS (I'm able to switch the order of it around with the other options), the PC will just boot Windows as it normally does.

Solution
The manual for that motherboard shows nothing for the bios. Its a common problem with the non overclocking motherboards from Asus, I normally look at the equivalent overclocking motherboard for chipset, I just have to work out what that was for a Ryzen

So after working out what that mb would be I found https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...8_ROG_STRIX_X370-F_GAMING_UM_WEB_20170512.pdf

now if it is same bios, you have boot override. this lets you choose the boot device for the next start up only. It shows on the boot tab if you scroll down... strangely underneath Secure boot. Have a look on page 3-18 above.

Boot override means you should leave boot order as it is normally
put USB in at...

JHolderness

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2014
It's a prime a320m-k. There doesn't appear to be a secure boot option. Maybe it's worth mentioning that the BIOS states that I haven't made any changes when I exit despite changing the boot order.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The manual for that motherboard shows nothing for the bios. Its a common problem with the non overclocking motherboards from Asus, I normally look at the equivalent overclocking motherboard for chipset, I just have to work out what that was for a Ryzen

So after working out what that mb would be I found https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...8_ROG_STRIX_X370-F_GAMING_UM_WEB_20170512.pdf

now if it is same bios, you have boot override. this lets you choose the boot device for the next start up only. It shows on the boot tab if you scroll down... strangely underneath Secure boot. Have a look on page 3-18 above.

Boot override means you should leave boot order as it is normally
put USB in at startup
enter bios and go to advanced/boot tab
choose boot override and pick the USB from the list, PC will restart and use the USB on that boot. It will revert to normally startup on next start.

now if its not saving changes, it could be you need a new CMOS battery.

Solution