[SOLVED] Booting from USB problem

Borko1

Reputable
Nov 4, 2016
I already made a thread about this on Open Source Software sub-forum, but I see that there are no replies at all, I can't wait too long.

Hello. So, yesterday I downloaded Ubuntu 18.04 ISO file and then copied the files to the USB Drive by Rufus. Then, I restarted my PC and on the boot menu I had 2 options, UEFI Kingston or just Kingston USB, without that UEFI prefix. I choose the first option, UEFI. It booted successfully, but there was a problem at the end of the installation of Ubuntu: "grub-efi-amd64-signed installation failed". Then I searched forums on the internet and found something, the people said that I need to choose the 2nd option, without UEFI prefix and to turn off ACPI. I choose that, and then problems started. I won't say anything more, I'll put a video there, I can't explain this. I can just say that I tried to turn ACPI off, the errors disappeared but when I tried to install it, the purple screen freezed. Thanks in advance.

Video:

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IhwlIKyE8Q&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

Borko1

Reputable
Nov 4, 2016

Thanks for the answer.
Well, I went into diskmgmt.msc and shrinked 250MB out of my SSD available space, then I followed these instructions to make an EFI partition:
1) First I went to CMD with Admin rights
2) diskpart
3) list disk
4) select disk 0 (my SSD)
5) list partition
6) create partition EFI size=250
And after the step 6, there was an error. It said "MSR and EFI partitions are only supported on GPT disks. Convert the selected disk to GPT and try again." So, my SSD has to be converted in GPT to make an EFI partition? I didn't know that the installation of Ubuntu is that hard to do. I don't want to convert my SSD into GPT, I am aware of data corruption or so. Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

I have a feeling your issue stems from the rufus burning to usb drive.

I downloaded from ubuntu web site ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso 1.8GB files
loaded rufus and a blank usb drive.
the rufus screen looks like this.
NDDvdpq.png

I changed NO settings.
clicked start, downloaded the new syslinux files as it requests to do so.
kJ9Ajew.png

the wrote the iso mode
OekU5ze.png

notice once done I can see 1 usb drive not two.
q7sWPHq.png

Once the usb drive is completed; I boot from my Dell Inspiron 660S (i5-3550/8gb) and I do not get a dual boot request I get 1 usb device to boot from boot (like in your video) , so I am not sure why your getting two choices.. I think this is related to your BIOS more than not and for the record the 660s boots UEFI by default. so I can day I do not get the same results, I am going to try 2-3 more computers I have here and report in a few minutes on the "how they boot"

Borko1

Reputable
Nov 4, 2016
Hi guys, sorry for late replying. Thank you for help but I think that Mr. Colif is right, my partition has to be converted in GPT format in order to complete installation.

I will try to do that. But I still think that the problem is, as I stated above, about the GPT format of the disk. I don't want to convert it from MBR and I am aware of data loss and corruptions of the disk.