[SOLVED] Booting from usb

May 5, 2020
I have an older laptop (Asus Q200e) that has been on the shelf for a couple of years. I tried to fire it up, but it booted directly to BIOS. I made a windows 10 boot flash drive (Windows 10 was installed and working before it was shelved), went into the BIOS and made USB the #1 boot device.
When I try to boot, the blue Windows logo comes up and the animated dots twirl, but then the screen goes black. I've changed the CMOS battery.
I've played with BIOS settings (booting as UEFI and legacy. No dice.

Can anyone help?

Solution
When I try to boot, the blue Windows logo comes up and the animated dots twirl, but then the screen goes black.
Is this when booting from the USB?Does it have windows on its internal drive?
In any case you problem is not the booting,it does boot the twirling dots is a ways into the boot process of windows not the hardware.
So either it's booting from the internal disk and the windows on that disk is not right or it boots from the USB and some part of your hardware does not work well,either because it needs a special driver that is not common so it's not on the default installation media or because it went bad sitting on the shelf.

I would try and get any chipset and storage drivers from the asus website and slipstream them into...
When I try to boot, the blue Windows logo comes up and the animated dots twirl, but then the screen goes black.
In any case you problem is not the booting,it does boot the twirling dots is a ways into the boot process of windows not the hardware.
So either it's booting from the internal disk and the windows on that disk is not right or it boots from the USB and some part of your hardware does not work well,either because it needs a special driver that is not common so it's not on the default installation media or because it went bad sitting on the shelf.

I would try and get any chipset and storage drivers from the asus website and slipstream them into the installation media to see if that works.

If you can connect the laptop drive to a desktop,or anything that can run windows then you can prepare the drive and unpack the installation files directly to the drive so it will finish the installation the first time you boot from the drive.

Solution
May 5, 2020

I would try and get any chipset and storage drivers from the asus website and slipstream them into the installation media to see if that works.

If you can connect the laptop drive to a desktop,or anything that can run windows then you can prepare the drive and unpack the installation files directly to the drive so it will finish the installation the first time you boot from the drive.
Thanks. This is valuable!