I hope someone can help me. I run windows XP Professional, about 3-4 years
old. When I reboot or start up, the first screen that comes up while booting
hangs for a considerable long time. What can I do to correct this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Earl

Earl, after 3 years you probably have a lot of applications opening at
startup. Go to Start>Run type: msconfig click Ok
Select Startup and uncheck any of the programs that you don't really
need opening at startup. Have you done a check for
malware lately. If not, use all of these free websites.

http://www.download.com/Bazooka-Adware-and-Spyware-Scanner/3640-8022_4-10377953.html?sb=1&v=0

http://www.webroot.com/

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/