Question Booting issue and possible hard drive failure

Jun 4, 2020
Hey I've got a hp envy 17 3000 series notebook.

I've got an issue where I get a black screen after the "starting windows" screen and before the login screen appears. I'm able to boot into safe mode and see my files. I tried to do a system restore from the windows diagnostic screen but it did nothing and I got a black screen again before I even saw any menu. I then tried a system restore from safe mode which worked but the issue remained. I did an "sfc" scan through the command prompt in safe mode and it came back fine. a hard drive test from the bios which gave an error "Hard Drive 1 full (305)". I then ran a hard drive test with the hp hardware diagnostic tool. The test results is "failed" with the error code "9C1068-607A4J-XD6X01-60TT03"

The hard drive is a Hitachi HTS727575A9E364 750GB

On startup there is a windows error recovery screen which directs me to launch startup repair. On the new screen of the windows boot manager, there is a status code "0xc0000225" and info "The boot selection failed becuase a required device is inaccessible"

If I don't select startup repair and launch widows normally, the usual windows logo and "launching windows" appears. After that the screen goes black and nothing else happens.

Is it safe to say that the hard drive failed being 8 years old even though I can see my files in safe mode? What are my options from here for system and data recovery?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Hard drive full error:

How full is the Hitachi 750 GB HDD?

Before doing anything else ensure that all data is backed up and known to be recoverable and readable.

Have you ever run any "Disk Clean" like utilities or defragmented the HDD?

No immediate need to do that per se - just asking the question for now.

Jun 4, 2020
It doesn't do anything. Stuck on that black screen. I don't think we're even booted in yet. I thought that maybe if I leave if for a while it would eventually load up and show me something but no luck.

TRENDING THREADS