JoeTProsser

Honorable
Jul 26, 2015
Hello all.

I bought an R9 390 a good few years ago now and it's probably had its day. I have googled for beep sounds and it would appear that 1 long 2 short is the warning for a video card issue. I don't have anything on board so is there another way to test it?

My PC sounds like it is about to take off when I turn it on at the minute. The PSU is fine I think although I haven't done any proper tests or checks yet and I've ran a memory test which came back fine as well as error checking all my drives etc. Now it does start sometimes but not everytime and when it does it will hang dramatically from time to time sometimes having a total freeze and stall where I can't access the ctrl alt del menu or task manager and have to do a hard reset. With this it also carries a really nasty jittering/stuttering sound of whatever music/game I'm playing and will remain in this stasis forever if I don't hard reset.

I realised something was dying on my PC recently because it would have these insane hangs and temps on my R9 390 would go to 80+ before load in menu screens of games even things that aren't hard on my PC like Tropico and Skyrim (standard edition).

Could it possibly be temp related as I haven't re-thermal pasted the components? I've read about people re pasting the 390 after removing casing and having a performance increase that was incredibly noticeable and others saying it didn't fix a thing.

I'm talking I've had this FX 8350 since before university in 2013 and I have never pasted it since. I can't really say I've been a great PC owner and deserve to be shot hahaha.

Specs:
MSI R9 390
Amd FX 8350 (hyper Evo 212)
16GB RAM Corsair vengeance
3 different SSD's
1 monitor only

Thank you everyone. You're always fantastic help. One of the best communities I've ever come across.

JoeTProsser

Honorable
Jul 26, 2015
ello all.

I bought an R9 390 a good few years ago now and it's probably had its day. I have googled for beep sounds and it would appear that 1 long 2 short is the warning for a video card issue. I don't have anything on board so is there another way to test it?

My PC sounds like it is about to take off when I turn it on at the minute. The PSU is fine I think although I haven't done any proper tests or checks yet and I've ran a memory test which came back fine as well as error checking all my drives etc. Now it does start sometimes but not everytime and when it does it will hang dramatically from time to time sometimes having a total freeze and stall where I can't access the ctrl alt del menu or task manager and have to do a hard reset. With this it also carries a really nasty jittering/stuttering sound of whatever music/game I'm playing and will remain in this stasis forever if I don't hard reset.

I realised something was dying on my PC recently because it would have these insane hangs and temps on my R9 390 would go to 80+ before load in menu screens of games even things that aren't hard on my PC like Tropico and Skyrim (standard edition).

Could it possibly be temp related as I haven't re-thermal pasted the components? I've read about people re pasting the 390 after removing casing and having a performance increase that was incredibly noticeable and others saying it didn't fix a thing.

I'm talking I've had this FX 8350 since before university in 2013 and I have never pasted it since. I can't really say I've been a great PC owner and deserve to be shot hahaha.

Specs:
MSI R9 390
Amd FX 8350 (hyper Evo 212)
16GB RAM Corsair vengeance
3 different SSD's
1 monitor only

Thank you everyone. You're always fantastic help. One of the best communities I've ever come across.

PS Sorry if posting this in 2 separate sections is wrong. I'm really concerned because I got no money and covid has made employment really difficult for me due to health issues.

TRENDING THREADS