Pc
Ryzen 5 3600x
Sapphire 5700xt nitro plus
Asus b450f gaming motherboard
32gb ddr4 3600mghz ram
750 psu
4tb HDD
250gb WD m.2 drive for os

I am trying to install a second m.2 drive in the second slot on the motherboard. When I put it in the bios reads it and the other drives I have, but the operating system won’t boot. When I take the new m.2 drive back out it boots up like normal. I understand it has something to do with the Pcie lanes and sata, but I can’t wrap my head around it.
Any help would be appreciated!

Oct 22, 2023
Pc
Ryzen 5 3600x
32gb ddr4 3600mghz ram
750 psu
4tb HDD

I am trying to install a second m.2 drive in the second slot on the motherboard. When I put it in the bios reads it and the other drives I have, but the operating system won’t boot. When I take the new m.2 drive back out it boots up like normal. I understand it has something to do with the Pcie lanes and sata, but I can’t wrap my head around it.
Also how should I upgrade storage if there is no fix to this? The HDD is getting out dated and I’m wanting to upgrade

USAFRet

Titan
Pc
Ryzen 5 3600x
32gb ddr4 3600mghz ram
750 psu
4tb HDD

Using a drive in an M.2 port often disables one or more SATA ports on the motherboard.

"When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA or PCIE mode, SATA6G_5/6 ports will be disabled."

The fix may be as simple as moving the SATA cable for your HDD to a different port on the motherboard.

Reactions: Dr_Witty
Oct 22, 2023
Using a drive in an M.2 port often disables one or more SATA ports on the motherboard.

"When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA or PCIE mode, SATA6G_5/6 ports will be disabled."

The fix may be as simple as moving the SATA cable for your HDD to a different port on the motherboard.
I moved it once, but I’m a noob and it’s my first build lol. which one should I move it to?