Booting problems with two hard drives

Haxorinator

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I have a custom built Gaming rig I built last year.
This year I decided to buy a Samsung 830 120GB SSD and instantly fell in love with it.

So I installed Windows on the SSD but I did not uninstall windows on the old HDD.

I decided I was going to remove my HDD since it was only a 120GB and is a mere 4800 RPM and is PATA.

I purchased a 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD to replace it, but the problem I face now is when I remove the old 4800 RPM HDD I get an error after the BIOS saying "No Boot Device Found."

I am a little bit confused because I was running Windows on the SSD and getting fast response times.

When I reconnect the HDD back to the computer it works fine.

Any help would be appreciated as this is holding back my PC because I'm running out of space and the 4800RPM HDD is super slow.

Dhamilton

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Do as above and make sure your SSD is set as the first Boot Device.
If that doesn't work you are gonna have to fix your MBR

Its not that difficult. So here is a link explaining it simply.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

You will need your win7 installation media.
Set your first boot to this device (probably dvd drive?)
Make sure the OLD HDD is not connected to the machine.
When it boots try "Startup Repair" first. If that works then you are done
If not follow the steps at the top of link.

In order to avoid this situation in the future, disconnect all drives except for the one you will be installing the OS onto. This forces windows to put the boot loader and OS on the same drive. Once the OS is done installing, reconnect all remaining drives.