May 1, 2019
Hello,
I just finished building my second pc. All components in place and starting up the pc for the first time. Things run for a few seconds and then the text, "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

When looking online for solutions it almost exclusive said to enter bios but there's the second problem. I can't enter bios, it goes straight to the error screen. I have tried several buttons, (del, f13, f11, f9, etc) what would you say is the best plan of action? Is there something wrong with the cabling? The hard drive? Me?

So in short, first time starting pc, error text regarding boot media, can't enter bios.

Please help.
Thanks

Solution
I have checked every cable and none of them are loose.
And I can't check the boot prioritisation since I can't enter bios.

From what drive are you booting? Please remove the main drive and use another one. This time, 1 drive only and make sure to replace the sata cable or use a working one.

Also about boot sequence/priority, you can access them by pressing a key before the computer boots. It differs on every PC.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Hello,
I just finished building my second pc. All components in place and starting up the pc for the first time. Things run for a few seconds and then the text, "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

When looking online for solutions it almost exclusive said to enter bios but there's the second problem. I can't enter bios, it goes straight to the error screen. I have tried several buttons, (del, f13, f11, f9, etc) what would you say is the best plan of action? Is there something wrong with the cabling? The hard drive? Me?

So in short, first time starting pc, error text regarding boot media, can't enter bios.

Please help.
Thanks

Do not forget to list down your computer spec. I am suspecting a loose cable or wrong boot prioritization.. Make sure your cable is connected firmly or not faulty and you are booting first from the right drive.

Check these first and everything will follow.

May 1, 2019
Here's a list of all the components.
Case: CIT G Force Black
Cpu: Intel Core-I5-9600KF 3.7GHz 6-core
Cpu cooler: cooler master hyper 212 RGB Black edition 54.3cfm
Motherboard: MSI z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151
Memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2X8 GB) ddr4-3600
Storage 1: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Storsge 2: Patriot Scorch 128 GB M.2-2280 nvme
Video card: Gigabyta Geforce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Aorus
Power supply: EVGA BR 500W 80+ Bronze certified atx

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Here's a list of all the components.
Case: CIT G Force Black
Cpu: Intel Core-I5-9600KF 3.7GHz 6-core
Cpu cooler: cooler master hyper 212 RGB Black edition 54.3cfm
Motherboard: MSI z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151
Memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2X8 GB) ddr4-3600
Storage 1: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Storsge 2: Patriot Scorch 128 GB M.2-2280 nvme
Video card: Gigabyta Geforce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Aorus
Power supply: EVGA BR 500W 80+ Bronze certified atx

Have you tried what I just said? check your cables especially the sata cables. It should be connected to the right drive firmly. Also, check your boot prioritization if you are booting from the right drive.

That's what the error is telling you.

May 1, 2019
Have you tried what I just said? check your cables especially the sata cables. It should be connected to the right drive firmly. Also, check your boot prioritization if you are booting from the right drive.

That's what the error is telling you.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

From what drive are you booting? Please remove the main drive and use another one. This time, 1 drive only and make sure to replace the sata cable or use a working one.

Also about boot sequence/priority, you can access them by pressing a key before the computer boots. It differs on every PC.

Solution

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

I don't know why but you should be able to enter BIOS. Have you tried all the F1 - F12 and del keys? You should check your hard drive there if it's detected or not and set it on the right boot sequence. That's how you fix it. Spam the key as fast as you can faster than the logo flashing.

You should boot first on your bootable device or something else you are using if you haven't installed windows yet.

Last edited:

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Saw this thread of yours: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/trouble-booting-pc.3555002/

Thought it was a hardware issue but it's clear that you haven't boot yet on your bootable USB or something for installation. Please learn on how to access your BIOS first by checking the manual.

Use all the F1 - F12 and DEL keys. Over and over again by spamming all of them one by one. That'll get you to the bios and set the boot priority to your bootable device to install.

Last edited: