Booting problems

G

I have recently built a new system, but I am using the harddrive from my old computer until I get a new HD as well. The first couple runs went nicely, then I went ahead and installed Win2k over the current Win98 installation (to clear up any compatibility problems with the new motherboard).

One time I rebooted, during the Win200 graphical bootup screen it turned blue and gave me a stop error, "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" (or something similar). It said the if this is the first time, just restart, so I did. It worked fine the next run.

I had it running for about 24 more hours, then rebooted again, and got the same stop error. Unfortunatley, no matter how many times I reboot, the stop error still shows up, so I know there is something wrong. I tried to unplug then re-plug the data cable to the hard drive, but it didn't work.

Can somebody explain to me what causes this error are, and any other tips to possibly solve this problem? Any help would be great.

-symband

G

Sounds like your current Hard Drive is going bad. Even though it appeared to work fine with Win98, Win NT and Win2k have a way to check the integrity of the drive and will not install at all or you will have serious reboot and startup issues. You will see what I mean if you check your hard drive with SMART software. Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technolgy. This is used to check the physical health of the drive. I had the same thing happen when I tried to install WinNT and Win2k on the same drive and niether would install. I tried a new drive and cha ching they installed. I checked the drive with the software and it was registering bad. But get this I can still use it with my Win98 OS like there's nothing wrong what so ever. The only thing is it will fail sooner or later and you won't know when. Your issue is that somehow you got the install loaded and it got worse, hence it won't restart at all. Also it could be a corrupt partition and file table, repartition and re-install. But personally I feel sure its the drive itself.

A teacher without peer, yet a student of great discipline