Question Booting Ryzen 7 5800X without cooler

Jul 6, 2022
Hey guys, quick question. I'm building a new rig, but I had problems with my motherboard, it had some annoying coil whining. So i did send it back and I'm waiting for it to return.

Question now is, can i boot up my computer without the cpu fan installed? Just to check if the whining is gone. I don't want to install my cpu fan and apply thermal paste and everything, just to discover the whining is still there and to uninstall it again :/
Cause in that case I will return it and get a brand new one (maybe I get one anyway, they're testing it).

Regarding the coil whining: it started as soon as I booted my computer. The noise was coming from the middle area (gpu, cpu, board).
The gpu wasn't the perpetrator (tested it with my old gpu), the cpu fan wasn't at fault either.
Now i have the mainboard and psu left, but I don't think it's the psu (be quiet! Straight power 11
850W, 80+ platinum).

So, would it be safe to boot my computer without a cpu-fan (be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4) to check? Or should I install the cpu fan nonetheless? It would not be more than a minute, but I don't want to damage my new cpu obviously.

Best regards

Hey guys, quick question. I'm building a new rig, but I had problems with my motherboard, it had some annoying coil whining. So i did send it back and I'm waiting for it to return.

Question now is, can i boot up my computer without the cpu fan installed? Just to check if the whining is gone. I don't want to install my cpu fan and apply thermal paste and everything, just to discover the whining is still there and to uninstall it again :/
Cause in that case I will return it and get a brand new one (maybe I get one anyway, they're testing it).

Regarding the coil whining: it started as soon as I booted my computer. The noise was coming from the middle area (gpu, cpu, board).
The gpu wasn't the perpetrator (tested it with my old gpu), the cpu fan wasn't at fault either.
Now i have the mainboard and psu left, but I don't think it's the psu (be quiet! Straight power 11
850W, 80+ platinum).

So, would it be safe to boot my computer without a cpu-fan (be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4) to check? Or should I install the cpu fan nonetheless? It would not be more than a minute, but I don't want to damage my new cpu obviously.

Best regards
Do NOT, NOT, NOT even try to BOOT without CPU cooler..... NEVER, EVER. Most MBs wouldn't let you boot without a fan connected to CPU_FAN port anyway.

KyaraM

Notable
Mar 11, 2022
You can try, but I can guarantee you that it won't even boot. Read a German article about it just the other day, they didn't even get it to boot without a fan plugged into the CPU header and then the machine just crashed after the CPU tried to clock down further and further for a few minutes. It was also laggy as hell.

ASK THE COMMUNITY