Question Booting straight to BIOS

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
I was playing a game and my laptop froze up and shutdown (no blue screen) and now when I start it up it goes straight to the bios. Both my drives come up in the bios and windows boot manager comes up in the boot order. Iv also tried to use the boot override option but when I click the boot manager nothing happens. I got a windows bootable USB and tried a start up repair which didn't work then I tried a system restore point and that also didn't work. I then opened command prompt and used wmic to get the drive status, no problems there, I then did the chkdsk command and didn't get any errors. I tried a bootrec /fix MBR and /rebuildbcd and I noticed it say there was 0 windows installation so I used /scanos and sure enough 0 identified windows installations. At this point I didn't really know what to do so I tried diskpart - detaildisk to see if I could find anything weird, everything looked normal except next to boot disk and pagefile disk it says no. Sick of it at this point so I try to reinstall windows all together but when I try to delete or format the partitions on the disk it does nothing so I can't even reinstall windows.

SOLUTION: Fault sata connector on PSU.

Last edited:

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
when you run the test, did you change to the hdd? not the usb?
Yeah I did, just double checked to make sure. It's an SSD not HDD don't know if that'll make a difference though, checked both drives with wmic just to be sure.

What iv been doing is changing from X:\sources to D:\ and then wmic, disk drive get status. Is that correct?

TRENDING THREADS