[SOLVED] Booting Tower's HDD on Laptop

_Vault_Dweller_

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
I live in an area with very poor, almost nonexistent, internet connection. Right now I'm here for work so there is no chance of moving. Naturally this makes it very hard to update things on my home tower pc. I usually use an external hdd and my laptop to update steam games, but I've run into some problems updating windows and windows store games like Sea of Thieves. So my question is, can I pull the boot drive from my tower, hook it into my laptop via USB, then boot from it? Would that be more or less the same as me bringing my entire tower with me? Any advise is appreciated, thanks!

Solution

Not even a little bit.

1. You can't boot it through the USB connection, no matter what drive and OS it is.

2. The drive and OS from a whole different system probably won't boot in the laptop, no matter how you connect it.
not really, you would only bring the HDD with you and not the power your desktop PC has which i assume would be more capable of playing games like that then your laptop.

depending on where you got the game like if you bought it from steam you could change the game directory on it from your laptop to point to your desktop HDD when connected to your laptop

_Vault_Dweller_

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014

Well, I wasn't looking to play the games on my laptop or anything, just using it as a mule since I can bring it to the good internet at my work. This is mainly for the Microsoft store games I want to play, and since they are almost impossible to transfer like steam, I wanted to boot my desktop's hdd on the laptop so it would be as if I took my desktop to the better internet, then once I have everything I want downloaded, I can take it home and plug it back into my tower.

the only way i see this may work is if you are on windows 10 and it is a game from the app store then it is possible to point to where the game is located or to be installed

USAFRet

Titan

Not even a little bit.

1. You can't boot it through the USB connection, no matter what drive and OS it is.

2. The drive and OS from a whole different system probably won't boot in the laptop, no matter how you connect it.

Solution