[SOLVED] Booting troubles with SSD and Bios

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
Hello,

After a two month vacation, I return to find my PC with a Black Screen and White Flashing Underscore waiting for me.

Upon closer investigation, I found out that my Bios sometimes refuses to detect my Samsung SSD on which my OS is installed.
I fumbled with the cables and sometimes it detects it and sometimes it doesn't.

Looking at the Boot Order, it had my WDG 1TB HD first with the SSD being nowhere to be found. When the Bios does detect my SSD, I was able to go to Boot Priority BBS and activate my SSD as the primary Boot option.

However after I've done that and restart my PC, it gives me the "reboot and select proper boot device" BS. After pressing F11 I found out that my SSD still wasn't properly detected.

What might be the issue? I haven't touched my PC in two months.

Solution
Id unplug the hard drive and use those cables to plug in only the SSD just to test that, if you have another computer or external adapter I'd see if the SSD is accessible that way.

If you see the hard drive every time and the SSD only some times it sounds like the SSD is dead whether it was a surge from the storm or just happened to go I don't know.

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
First guess is there was a storm and power went out. If your BIOS is set to power on after power loss, that would explain why it was on when you got back.

If there was a power surge it may have damaged the motherboard or SSD.

Possibly bios may have reset to defaults due to a surge and it is a matter of fixing settings.

For the SSD is it M.2 or Sata?

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
First guess is there was a storm and power went out. If your BIOS is set to power on after power loss, that would explain why it was on when you got back.

If there was a power surge it may have damaged the motherboard or SSD.

Possibly bios may have reset to defaults due to a surge and it is a matter of fixing settings.

For the SSD is it M.2 or Sata?

Its Sata, from what I heard, there was a Storm, but nothing serious in my area, just heavy rain. My issue is, even when the Bios detects my SSD, and I set it as the first Boot Priority, once it boots up, it just stops detecting it.

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Id unplug the hard drive and use those cables to plug in only the SSD just to test that, if you have another computer or external adapter I'd see if the SSD is accessible that way.

If you see the hard drive every time and the SSD only some times it sounds like the SSD is dead whether it was a surge from the storm or just happened to go I don't know.

Solution