[SOLVED] Booting with a bad gpu

amtgardzealot

Commendable
Aug 4, 2018
Is there a way to boot up with a bad graphics card installed? I want to try and reinstall the drivers for it, but I don't know if this is possible. I have tried to boot it with the on board video, but if the card is installed I get no video. If there is a way to enable only on board video only I don't know how to do it.

My MB: z97 pc mate
gpu: r9 290 4G gaming radeon msi

Solution
You may need to change a setting in the BIOS to stop the integrated graphics being switched off when a dedicated gpu is detected. I did similar on a Z87 board a few years back when I used both integrated and dedicated graphics.

However can you get into the BIOS when using the 290? If no it is not a driver problem as no Windows drivers have been run at that point of booting up.
You may need to change a setting in the BIOS to stop the integrated graphics being switched off when a dedicated gpu is detected. I did similar on a Z87 board a few years back when I used both integrated and dedicated graphics.

However can you get into the BIOS when using the 290? If no it is not a driver problem as no Windows drivers have been run at that point of booting up.

Solution