Bootloader installed on wrong HDD

darwinw

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Hi,
So, I have my main windows installation of my C: hard drive. I have an older installation on another drive; D:
I want to remove the D: drive to make space in my case for a new drive, however when I disconnect the D: drive, my windows installation on C: won't boot.
I believe that this is because, for some reason, the bootloader for it is located on the D: drive.
I've tried using the windows application EasyBCD, but whatever I do it just installs bootloaders on the D: drive, even if I specify I want it installed on C:
I've also tried using the windows repair tool from an installation CD but it cannot see my C: windows installation, so I can't do anything from there.
Please any advice would be appreciated, I really don't want to have to re install windows.
Thanks.

Solution
Hey there, darwinw!

This is a very unfortunate, yet common problem when having 2 HDDs in your system and (re)installing Windows. What happened to you is called OS confusion because both HDDs were plugged in the mobo while the installation was in progress. Even if you've set the destination for the OS, most of the time it just decides to save the bootloader or the system reserved partition on the other drive which causes boot issues and headaches later on.
I'd recommend you to simply perform the clean install again, only this time unplug your secondary storage drive and leave only the one you wish to install Windows to. This will surely fix your issue.

Hope I was helpful! Let us know how it goes! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, darwinw!

This is a very unfortunate, yet common problem when having 2 HDDs in your system and (re)installing Windows. What happened to you is called OS confusion because both HDDs were plugged in the mobo while the installation was in progress. Even if you've set the destination for the OS, most of the time it just decides to save the bootloader or the system reserved partition on the other drive which causes boot issues and headaches later on.
I'd recommend you to simply perform the clean install again, only this time unplug your secondary storage drive and leave only the one you wish to install Windows to. This will surely fix your issue.

Hope I was helpful! Let us know how it goes! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS