[SOLVED] Bootlooping after moving

Aug 23, 2019
I moved about a week ago and I tried firing up my pc and its bootlooping. I wasn't the one what loaded it into the car (my dad did) so he might not have been careful with it. When I power it on everything turns on. The graphics card lights turn on and fans spin, my cpu fan turns on and lights on my motherboard turn on. I have tried unplugging and unplugging in my ram. Any resources, general info on diagnostics and possible solutions would be greatly appreciated
Motherboard: Asus z170 a
Gpu: Asus strix gtx 1070
Cpu: i7 6700k
Ram: corsair vengeance 2 8 GB sticks
Storage: Samsung 850 evo
Psu: evga supernova 650 gs
Case is cooler master master Mastercard pro 5
CPU fan: cooler master hyper 212 evo

Edit: I timed the bootlooping and it powers on and runs for 20 seconds, powers off for 4 then turns back on and runs for 20 and so on. From what I can tell it's the exact same duration every time

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019
Can you describe how its bootlooping? Like is it getting to the windows logo, starting to load, then restarts? Or?
Nothing is being displayed on my monitor. I have tried displayport and hdmi in both the gpu and motherboard and 2 separate screens. I timed the bootlooping and it powers on and runs for 20 seconds, powers off for 4 then turns back on and runs for 20 and so on. From what I can tell it's the exact same duration every time

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Nothing is being displayed on my monitor. I have tried displayport and hdmi in both the gpu and motherboard and 2 separate screens. I timed the bootlooping and it powers on and runs for 20 seconds, powers off for 4 then turns back on and runs for 20 and so on. From what I can tell it's the exact same duration every time
It really sounds like something came lose or worst case scenario something was in fact damaged. Follow ss202sl's advice and check all connections if you haven't already.

I would check to see if your 212 evo is still securely attached to your motherboard.

How about unplugging and replugging everything. This includes all of the internal power connectors, the CPU, and the front panel connectors. It might be the the front panel ones have become jumbled up and are now connecting power on to restart or something like that.

Aug 23, 2019
How about unplugging and replugging everything. This includes all of the internal power connectors, the CPU, and the front panel connectors. It might be the the front panel ones have become jumbled up and are now connecting power on to restart or something like that.
Didnt seem to work either

Aug 23, 2019
Well the last ditch effort is to take everything apart and rebuild the computer. Just to make sure its all in the right place, nice and tidy.

Also, did you try removing the GPU and just running display from the motherboard?
Haven't tried that. I also haven't tried resetting the cmos or whatever it's called or taking out the battery. Not too sure how to do that on that lol

Aug 23, 2019
Uldate: after unplugging everything I could find and plugging it back in my pc boot looped one but now it's just running but not displaying anything. Using displayport in my graphics card

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Also no power is going to my peripherals when they are plugged into my motherboard or my cases usb drives
Try resetting the cmos by removing the silver battery on the motherboard for a couple of minutes then plugging it back in. Just youtube it if you're not sure what to do.

If that doesn't work try removing the GPU and just running off of the motherboard ports for display.

Aug 23, 2019
Try resetting the cmos by removing the silver battery on the motherboard for a couple of minutes then plugging it back in. Just youtube it if you're not sure what to do.

If that doesn't work try removing the GPU and just running off of the motherboard ports for display.
I did that and it stopped boot looping and is just running but not displaying anything

Aug 23, 2019
You need to try reseating your CPU. Just take the cooler off, remove the CPU, (check for bent pins while you're there) and reinstall it.

This is sounding like motherboard failure unfortunately. If the CPU reseat doesnt work, let me know.
I'll give it a shot but I might have to wait until this weekend. Could it still be mother board failure even if there are lights turning on on the motherboard?

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
I'll give it a shot but I might have to wait until this weekend. Could it still be mother board failure even if there are lights turning on on the motherboard?
Well if you're not getting any power to peripherals OR to display even from the IO ports on the back then it has to be at least motherboard related.
Have you checked your connections going to your power supply? Its a modular one right? Maybe one of those came unplugged.

Aug 23, 2019
Well if you're not getting any power to peripherals OR to display even from the IO ports on the back then it has to be at least motherboard related.
Have you checked your connections going to your power supply? Its a modular one right? Maybe one of those came unplugged.
Ya I replugged all those. I think I'm just gonna try taking it apart and putting it back together

Greg Gregorich

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
You need to try reseating your CPU. Just take the cooler off, remove the CPU, (check for bent pins while you're there) and reinstall it.

This is sounding like motherboard failure unfortunately. If the CPU reseat doesnt work, let me know.
how is that related to his problem!
BEFORE YOU OPEN THE CASE MAKE SURE PC IS UNPLUGGED FROM POWER OUTLET wait couple minutes before touching anything inside the case.if you see lights on motherboard try different monitors and different cables connect only to gpu .