Question Bootmanger and connecting second drive to a windows 10 PC that has Linux mint installed

Aug 3, 2022
Hello. I'm new here, but have visited often before to read.
I have a windows 10 PC (z690 board) with windows installed on a gpt disc with uefi.
A few weeks ago I installed Linux mint on a separate SSD while having all my other drives disconnected.
Now I am wondering how to use a boot manager so I can just connect the already installed Linux mint on that SSD that I have laying around.
I don't feel like plugging and unplugging, or reinstalling windows again. I definitely can not lose any data on my windows c drive.
I am also running out of data ports and might have to get a pcie Sata card to utilize all my other drives.
Is there a simple solution?
Thank you all for your help

USAFRet

Titan
I have no backup, but have one more SSD, same brand and size as c drive, which I could use to clone if needed.
No, you need an onoing backup routine.This is just a part of normal responsible computer ops.

Not just when you want to do something a little different.

All the time.

What would you do if your C drive died right now?
Or a simple misclick in the process of setting this up.
(yes, it happens)

Aug 3, 2022
I never had a drive fail like.....now. There are signs. I've been using those things since the 386 came out. I've learned from mistakes.
My first self built was a pentium 100.
And I am using a brand new drive for c.

The backup was not the question, it was about how to use a boot manager to utilize the already installed Linux on that SSD.
I can backup if I have to or just clone if needed before things go south.

So how do I fix the dual boot with the two drives one having win10 the other Linux mint.
Thanks again

Ralston18

Titan
Okay:

Despite past history and everything you have done and/or have not done. Or may be planning to do.

The drive just failed.

Seriously think about that,

And a brand new drive is no guarantee - they can and do fail catastrophically. No warning.

Dual booting you say: that is another opportunity for Mr. Murphy to show up......

Just my thoughts on the matter.

TRENDING THREADS