bootmgr after clean install windows 10

aegzorandre

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Yes, I know this "bootmgr" problem have ben talked about numerous times across many different forums. But it doesn't really answer my specific problem.
Would appriciate if someone had the solution for my question.

So story like this. I had to reinstall windows 10 since all of a sudden the aduio stoped working. I tried everything like update sound driver, bios etc. Nothing worked.
After a new install of Windows 10 the sound was back on track.

At this time I noticed that one of my HDD:s wasn't to be seen under "My computer".
When going to disk management I could find the HDD there and could enter the HDD from that area. Weird. In disk managemen I right clicked the HDD and choose "set as active".
I didn't know what it did and I didn't get any warning messages. I updated some graphic drivers and restarted computer and now I came to the black screen "bootmgr" problem. Windows coudlnt start pres ctrl+alt+del to restart.

To bypass this I had to unplug the other HDD,(the one I previsuly set as active under disk management). After this is done, windows starts normally.

Now to my question, is this problem due to I set that HDD as active? Because now when I go into disk management, right click my windows HDD and set choose as active, now I get a warning message like "are you sure you want to set as active? Computer might not start correctly"
This warning message I didnt get the first time.

So I wonder if I set this as active and replug my other HDD it might work?
BUT, if I set this as active and windows get the warning message again "bootmgr", then I have no HDD drive at all to boot from so I want to be sure that this is the issue before I proceed.

Hope someone have a solution for this.

Thanks

Solution
A HDD with an OS must have an Active partition... that's one Active partition per HDD/SSD... So, if you marked one HDD partition as active, it can't affect a OS in another HDD/SSD.

What you probably did when you marked a HDD partition active, is you may have marked the wrong partition. You have the Boot Partition or System Reserved, next the Windows Partition, and there may next be the Recovery Partition.... from these, the first partition should be active, (the Boot or system Reserved partition), not the Windows partition... It used to be the Windows partition was active because Windows and the Boot sector were both in the same partition, but now Windows installs on several partitions and the Boot partition should be the Active...

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Hi, "Set as active" enables the drive to be "bootable" per se.
It means the PC can check for an OS and try to boot from it.

I would check the drive boot order in the BIOS first, and make sure the correct drive is in first.

Failing that,
You should re-set the first drive as active.

How many hard drives did you have connected to your system when you first installed windows os ?
I ask because although you initially choose the hard drive to install windows 10 on for example.

The boot manager of windows is not always stored on the same drive you chose to install windows too.
It can often be stored on a completely different drive if at the time of installing windows on your system more than one drive is connected and present.

To force boot manager to reside on the same drive as you choose to install windows on initially only a single drive must be connected to your system.

If you look at the type of disk, in disk management, it should list the windows main install partition.
And on the other drive you tried to change the boot, manager partition.

Type of disk as well basic, Dynamic, Healthy primary boot partition.

A HDD with an OS must have an Active partition... that's one Active partition per HDD/SSD... So, if you marked one HDD partition as active, it can't affect a OS in another HDD/SSD.

What you probably did when you marked a HDD partition active, is you may have marked the wrong partition. You have the Boot Partition or System Reserved, next the Windows Partition, and there may next be the Recovery Partition.... from these, the first partition should be active, (the Boot or system Reserved partition), not the Windows partition... It used to be the Windows partition was active because Windows and the Boot sector were both in the same partition, but now Windows installs on several partitions and the Boot partition should be the Active partition.

The HDD not being found in This PC/File Explorer must be a different issue and was just a coincidence it started when you marked the partition as Active. BTW: Check the HDD with Hard Disk Sentinel to get an idea of it's condition.

Marking the HDD partition Active must have enabled it for boot, and it's probably in first in order so it's selected by the BIOS for boot. But you probably don't have a OS on it, so there is no boot.

If you have an OS in that HDD, mark the right partition as Active, and when rebooting, enter the BIOS and change the HDDs order so the Windows 10 HDD is on top.

Solution