BOOTMGR is missing -- Hard Drive missing from BIOS after hard restart

sqsw0810

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
Avast was doing a complete virus search and Firefox was opened, when I locked my Windows 10 session for 20 minutes.

When I came back, the computer was unresponsive. After waiting for a minute or two, I pressed the hard restart button on the central unit. When the computer restarted, this message appeared: "BOOTMGR is missing -- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart".

I did it, and upon restart I pressed DEL to enter the BIOS and check the booting settings. Interestingly enough, my system hard drive was not in the list at all.

So I restarted again, and this time I pressed F11 to enter the Booting Options, where my system hard drive was in the list, and after selecting it, it starts normally, and I can use the computer normally.

Does anyone know what happened and how I can fix this?

Solution
For two days, the missing BOOTMGR message kept appearing on startup, so I had to press F11 (Boot Options) to select the hard drive manually.

On the third day I found that the disk actually was appearing in the BIOS, just not where I was expecting it to.

I was in Mainboard settings > Boot, in a list called Fixed boot order priorities, where the disk usually appeared, but hadn't since the hard reset. Finally I found at the bottom of the screen Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities, and upon entering I have found three Boot options, and my "missing" disk was one of them. The current selection was UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell, I just selected my disk to put it at the top of the list, and everything was fixed, the disk...

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
I think the hard reset during HD reading/writing operations produced a temporary "logical" or software error, which was fortunately fixed by the cold boot / load / startup. Is the hard-drive booting up normally now? Any more problems with the HD?

sqsw0810

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
For two days, the missing BOOTMGR message kept appearing on startup, so I had to press F11 (Boot Options) to select the hard drive manually.

On the third day I found that the disk actually was appearing in the BIOS, just not where I was expecting it to.

I was in Mainboard settings > Boot, in a list called Fixed boot order priorities, where the disk usually appeared, but hadn't since the hard reset. Finally I found at the bottom of the screen Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities, and upon entering I have found three Boot options, and my "missing" disk was one of them. The current selection was UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell, I just selected my disk to put it at the top of the list, and everything was fixed, the disk appeared back in the parent screen, under Fixed boot order priorities, and since then the computer starts normally.

Solution