Bootmgr is missing. press Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Status
Not open for further replies.

regosaki

Reputable
May 14, 2015
Heeeeeeelp!

Where to begin? OK... I'm a techno moron, I thought World of War Craft was a global knitting competition for military clothing. I prostate myself at your mercy please please help me fix this problem.
(cue harp music and squiggly flash back visuals)
It all began this afternoon when I noticed that my C drive was dangerously close to full (like5gb spare) whilst my D drive had 223gb spare, what I wanted to do rather than deleting my D drive was to shrink it down in size and then add the freed memory to my C drive (oh if only things were this simple). What I found was that I could use the system management tool to shrink the D drive BUT I could not then simply transfer that memory over to the C drive, so I returned it to the D drive and thought no more of it. I did however remember clicking something about 'active partitions' and there being a warning come up on screen advising me that something like this could happen... Low and behold, on the next start up I get this dreaded message!!! "BOOTMGR missing pressCtrl+Alt+Del" oooooh what a clowns shoe I have been, why did I think I could do such things with starting a fire or blowing up the cat!
Please show mercy on this spam fisted wretch and help him see the error of his ways..
My OS Is windows 7 which was pre installed (so I have no back up disc)
I have a Toshiba Satellite 660 with 4Gb ram and a 500gb hd
I have recently had the motherboard replaced after I left it with my family and my nephew fried the original mobo... Gggrrrrr
I don't know if this is relevant to this problem, but I have found it impossible to enter safe mode I have tried every combination of pressing and tapping every function key and others and still I get the same message..... Please PLEASE someone help me solve this problem and I will be indebted to you for life.

Solution
It's that warning about "Active Partitions" which has caused your "Boot Manager missing" issue.

You need to boot your system from a partition management utility CD and make the correct partition "Active" again, like it used to be.

Which is the correct partition to make Active I hear you ask. Well I'm guessing it's 'D' since it's a Windows 7 system.
But that is definitely the problem, the partition which needs to be Active is currently not.
It's that warning about "Active Partitions" which has caused your "Boot Manager missing" issue.

You need to boot your system from a partition management utility CD and make the correct partition "Active" again, like it used to be.

Which is the correct partition to make Active I hear you ask. Well I'm guessing it's 'D' since it's a Windows 7 system.
But that is definitely the problem, the partition which needs to be Active is currently not.

Solution
Hi there regosaki,

You can try rebuilding the BCD. Check this out: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm
Apart from that, you should have used some third party partition management software in order to add the unallocated storage space to your C: drive(which is most probably getting full as your system is creating restore points).

Edit: I was a little bit slow in posting this. :) You can try first what Phillip Corcoran suggested. :)

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

regosaki

Reputable
May 14, 2015
Thank you Phillip Corcoran and D_know_wd for your help, when I get home from work today I will try it, my only problem is getting into access my boot menu or safe mode as soon as I switch on my laptop it goes straight to the Bootmgr message, I don't get the option of F2 or F12 to enter boot registry and I can't figure out how I can access the safe mode either (tried most of the buttons and combos) and nothing.

I am genuinely stumped that's why I REALLY appreciate your assistance and input, thank you sooo much.

As I said, you need to boot your PC from a CD containing a partition manager so you can make the appropriate partition Active (that's the partition which contains the Boot Manger). You can't do that with Safe Mode, you need to boot independently of Windows and independently of the hard drive which contains the partition you need to modify.

Only by booting from another device can you do that.

Try this bootable CD: http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

Download the CD image from above link (it's an ISO file), then create a CD from it using IMGBurn on a working PC:
http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn

Then boot your faulty PC from it.

regosaki

Reputable
May 14, 2015
How do I boot my faulty PC from the disc, as soon as I switch it on I get the "BOOTMGR is missing..." Message? I can't access my BIOS or system settings? Would connecting my laptop to another work?

regosaki

Reputable
May 14, 2015

Philip Corcoran..

Thank you soooooo much, I downloaded the PartitionWizard last night and after some teething problems getting it up and running, mainly due to the fact I am a complete Luddite. I eventually solved the problem.

I really can't thank you enough!

Your awesome!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.