BootMGR is Missing

nivekvb

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
This is weird one. I fitted a M.2 SSD using the Asus HYPER M.2 x 4 MINI M.2 Hyper Interface Adapter into a PCIe lane on my PC which has a Z97-A MB and I cloned Windows 10 on to it from another SSD drive . Anyway, it kept loosing the BootMGR and Windows would not load but I eventually realised that if I disconnected the two other SSD's on my PC which had Windows 10 on (it was a dual boot system) it would load alright so I deleted the W10 from those drives and it was okay for a few days then all of a sudden it the lost the BootMG again. Eventually I disconnected the hard drives that used to have Windows 10 OS on and my PC started okay.

How do you explain that, and do I need to set things up differently in the BIOS? Actually things got a lot more complicated than that but I will explain that tomorrow, I'm tired now. Thanks.

Solution
Usually the error will appear if your PC is trying to boot to a non-bootable disc, external drive, or floppy disk.

So disconnecting the drives fixes the issue but for a permanent fix, you'll need to re-arrange the boot order in the BIOs. Because each BIOS is unique, I can't tell you how exactly to do that, but that's what you need to do. Also, update your BIOS before you do this.

Once you're up and running, run a backup. If you don't have a backup solution, free tools like Rollback Rx or Macrium Reflect will work just fine.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Usually the error will appear if your PC is trying to boot to a non-bootable disc, external drive, or floppy disk.

So disconnecting the drives fixes the issue but for a permanent fix, you'll need to re-arrange the boot order in the BIOs. Because each BIOS is unique, I can't tell you how exactly to do that, but that's what you need to do. Also, update your BIOS before you do this.

Once you're up and running, run a backup. If you don't have a backup solution, free tools like Rollback Rx or Macrium Reflect will work just fine.

Solution

nivekvb

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Luke,

My M.2 drive is fitted to a ASUs Hyper M.2 Mini into a PCIe slot and I think the Z97-A board doesn't work well in this set up. A sort of design fault with the board. But Asus won't help me because I said that I had OC's the board not knowing it voided the warranty.

It was hell and I looked on Tom's Hardware they said I may have installed W10 on my M.2 drive with the other drives connected because I kept getting the message 'BootMGR was missing' but there might also be a problem with Asus Z97-A..

So I realised that I had to reformat my M.2 drive and do a clean install but I could not start my PC with W10 on two drives connected to do it. In the end I was able to erase all data and partitions on the M.2 drive using the W10 installation dongle and then I installed W10 from scratch and the MS agents online helped get it right (for about the fifth time). I then I connected one at a time my two other drives which had W10 on and reformatted them and then deleted everything on them. Then I switched on my PC and it was alright went into Disk Management and did a long format on those two hard drives. And guess what, my PC still failed to start afterwards.

Thanks for your advice. I checked around the BIOS and the boot order was correct. In the end I had only one hard drive connected, an old SATA drive which I haven't use for a year. It's for True Image back ups that I never get around to doing, but it still wouldn't boot. Anyhow, although the boot order was correct I saw a disable function for choosing a second disc to boot from, so I ticked it and my PC started okay but it had to think about it a bit. It might not start again, I will find out now. If it doesn't I will put W10 on one of my other ordinary SSD's and it will be alright as it was before.