[SOLVED] Boots directly into BIOS

Mar 14, 2021
So I bought this PC pre-built, had no issues for a few days and just now booting loads directly into BIOS, really inexperienced with this size of PCs so looking for some help.

Specs:

Gigabyte B460 HD3
Shark 512GB NVMe M.2. SSD
Intel 665P 1TB SSD NVMe
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM 8G

I’d be willing to pay a healthy sum if someone wants to help figure this out.

Thanks.

Solution
Welcome to the forums. 👍

when it boots into the BIOS does it see that the SSD's are installed? you should be able to verify that it sees the SSDs, review your manual if needed, the BIOS is covered in the rear of the manual. if it does not see that the SSDs are installed, either they (M.2 slots) have been disabled in the BIOS - check manual -, the boot order has been changed and the system does not know what to boot from, or the SSD's/M.2 slots is loose or has failed.
the system is booting into the BIOS because it cannot access or see the SSDs. I would suggest shutting down the computer and removing the SSDs and then replace them as a first step. I will post grounding precautions at the bottom. be grounded before working inside a PC...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums. 👍

when it boots into the BIOS does it see that the SSD's are installed? you should be able to verify that it sees the SSDs, review your manual if needed, the BIOS is covered in the rear of the manual. if it does not see that the SSDs are installed, either they (M.2 slots) have been disabled in the BIOS - check manual -, the boot order has been changed and the system does not know what to boot from, or the SSD's/M.2 slots is loose or has failed.
the system is booting into the BIOS because it cannot access or see the SSDs. I would suggest shutting down the computer and removing the SSDs and then replace them as a first step. I will post grounding precautions at the bottom. be grounded before working inside a PC. after the removal and replacement of the SSDs see if the system is booting again properly. then try with just the SSD with the OS on it, it should be the only one with a boot record. if not the SSD is the main suspect and you would need another system to test it on or another SSD's to test you motherboard on.

Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

this is the new build troubleshooter it is worth going over see if anything is amiss.

if you still cannot boot into your system, try another OS

Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally am fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.

use rufus to extract the selected ISO to the thumb drive. it will make the drive bootable and you can run linux from the drive once done.
Reboot into linux and proceed to test the hardware. connect to internet, watch videos, await problems.
if linux is good and stable the issue is most likely inside windows or otherwise software related.
this is a test of the hardware.

booting into linux from a thumb drive will give you an OS to test the SSDs in a new environment with new drivers. if the drives or the slots the drives plug into are damaged they will not work here either. determining which would require another motherboard with
M.2 or other SSD's for testing.

Solution