Boots to black screen,safemode won't work.

Prkr5885

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
So, I was re-installing a game (i got a new mobo and had to wipe everything), and suddenly the stupid alert from windows forcing me to restart my computer, restarts it against my will immediately, so I restart my computer, it takes years to boot up windows 7 on my HDD(where this occurred), and when it finally booted up, It was very, very slow, and programs where also very slow, and often froze. So I restarted my computer AGAIN, and this time not only did it take a while to boot, but it booted to a black screen with a mouse cursor.
So I tried using the re-install disk to repair it, system repair couldn't fix it, I can't restore it, tried the hardware memory scan or whatever, came up with nothing. I also tried re-seating everything, still nope.
I really, REALLY, don't want to have to re-install everything for a 3rd time. It has 84gigs of stuff on it, while my SSD, only 77gigs left of data on it, and games nowdays take ages to install. Please help me out.
System Specs:
Mobo Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0
Cpu AMD FX 6350
Graphics Ati Radeon hd 7750
Ram 8gb of DDR3

bmwmaniac

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
May I ask what the alert from Windows was that forced the restart, then we can build from there.

If you are unable to get the message again, the extremely slow performance and freezing means either your computer is overheating or you have a virus/trojan/etc.

If you have a PC then usually there is a tool that comes with your CPU that shows you the temperature, if you have a laptop then you can simply feel the base of the laptop if its extremely hot, then you would need to ensure that your cooling fan is working and that all the vents are clean from dust.

If its not a heat problem then,

What I can suggest in this case is to:

1- right click on the partition where your Windows is installed (usually C: ) --> properties --> tools tab --> under "error checking" click "check now", CHECK boxes "automatically fix..." and "search for and attempt...".

This will schedule a full HDD scan and repair procedure upon restart, so after clicking OK, restart your computer and wait for it to check and repair (usually takes up to 1-2 hours).

2- Then boot normally into windows and update your antivirus and make a full system scan which also takes about 2 hours depending on how much files you have.

If the problem persists then it can either mean the virus/trojan/malware/whatever is still there or that your HDD has still some bad sectors.

Let me know how steps 1 and 2 go in order to further help you.

*** All my answers and posts are merely suggestions which you perform at your own attempt, risk, and responsibility.

Prkr5885

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

I highly doubt it's a temperature problem or a virus. I've only re-downloaded trusted programs. The only other thing I downloaded was fraps on mediafire.
I know its a problem with the HDD because my SSD runs games fine. Thanks, I will try your solution.

breakontale1970

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Well, in the years of taking apart laptops, I never seen something like this lol. I would have to guess its a loose connection somewhere, I'd start by putting back together and make sure all the cables are plugged in tight. Also in that area where you have to use pressure, is there any type of plugs around there?

bmwmaniac

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

Looking at the straight at the laptop as if you are using it, there are usually cables above of the keyboard area connecting the screen to the board and the camera/mic to the board, there is usually a cable in the middle of the keyboard area connecting the keyboard to the board and a smaller cable connecting the mouse pad to the board.

Have you tried another HDD on your laptop that you know for sure is working well?

*** All my answers and posts are merely suggestions which you perform at your own attempt, risk, and responsibility.

TRENDING THREADS