News Born in the USA: Prusa is Now Making 3D Printers and Filament In Delaware

HaninTH

Proper
Oct 3, 2023
Now if only this can bring down the price of their filaments and bring their printers in line with the rest of the market's pricing.

Bambu Labs is putting pressure on the market, so hopefully this allows Prusa to compete.

Reactions: TechyIT223

HaninTH

Proper
Oct 3, 2023
Other than the Prusa XL with the 5 printheads, I don't see a reason to buy any of their other printers? What's so great about them?
The lack of need for any "cloud" garbage or intermediaries like Bambu Labs and others are forcing currently?

As USAFRet mentioned, having a well established brand, reliability streak and open standards, makes Prusa a leader in the market, even if their current line up might not match current print speeds.

I have, Prusa MK3 and Mini, Creality K1 and Bambu Labs P1S printers, and while the P1S by Bambu Labs has impressive print speeds and quality, their insistence on having cloud or internet connectivity is terrible. You can switch the printer to "LAN Only" mode, but you still need an internet connected device to send the printer GCODE. If this is a laptop, they force you to install a "Network Assistant" app that constantly talks to their servers in china. I ended up having to VLAN and isolate the printer and the laptop I use to create models and send the GCODE to the printer, as needed. Creality dabbled with this kind of setup, I haven't fired it up again as the P1S is so much faster and I have it's spying under control, to a point.

These printers should not REQUIRE internet access or any middlemen to work. The printer should have an HTTP/HTTPS/OCTOPrint interface that lets you either log in to the portal to upload GCODE or send it direct from your slicer via OCTOPrint. That is it. The manufacture should not know anything about anything i'm using the device for.

For this alone, Prusa is superior to most other brands, imo.

I love to FDM printing, I hate having to jump through hoops to use a product or be concerned for my network/data's safety.

TRENDING THREADS