[SOLVED] BoS Critical process died no code

ghost7x

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
I just replaced parts in my PC and it boots up fine but it keeps blue screening with a critical process died while browsing on chrome or trying to install updates. I also just installed windows 10 for the first time.

here is the error report

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 5/9/2020 10:55:30 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-TFSGA01
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>6</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-05-09T17:55:30.283921600Z" />
<EventRecordID>1275</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-TFSGA01</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">239</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xffffe503bc5de0c0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

can anyone help me with what the issue might be? I think I installed everything correctly, I haven't updated the BIOS or tinkered with the settings in it much. I tried both xmp on and off and still got crashes. In my other thread someone confirmed my psu shold be fine unless heavily overclocking.

The only parts that aren't new are the hd,ssd,psu, and the case.

I have;
i7 9700k processor
2070 super gigabyte windforce oc gpu
Z390 gigabyte aorus pro wifi motherboard
2x8 gskill 16gb ripjaw ram
Hx750i power supply
Samsung 840 evo ssd sata
Seagate 1tb drive
Pioneer bluray drive
Noctua cooler dh15
Cooler Master haf932 advanced case

Last edited:
Solution
sorry i missed yesterday, i had to do stuff.

did you ever try to put windows onto the hdd instead?
It might be the ssd even though its not showing any errors.
when you installing it, its running off ram, its only after the 1st restart where you set up users that you are using the ssd

ghost7x

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
I've ran mist tests and it seems like windows is fine to me. I did changet the ssd drive partition type and wiped it when I installed windows 10. I've just got the firmware for my drive and it crashed still. Still no dump file made.

Start unplugging anything not needed to boot the system, take one one of the RAM sticks, disconnect the secondary drive and the bluray drive and remove the video card. Run on the onboard video. If it's stable then, run all the motherboard driver updates including BIOS update from Gigabyte support site, then run the Windows updates, then install things one at a time back into the system.

ghost7x

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
Start unplugging anything not needed to boot the system, take one one of the RAM sticks, disconnect the secondary drive and the bluray drive and remove the video card. Run on the onboard video. If it's stable then, run all the motherboard driver updates including BIOS update from Gigabyte support site, then run the Windows updates, then install things one at a time back into the system.
I will try this next, thank you for replying

Colif

Win 11 Master
870 evo? I can see 860 and 970, but only very limited on 870...

I also just installed windows 10 for the first time.

You shouldn't get this on a clean install. Did you use a new ISO (did you make the installer just before installing?)

critical process died is a BSOD I wish would become as rare ass it was a few months ago, I see it too much now. Problem is its not specific enough. It is a windows error, meaning its caused by corrupted or broken windows processes. ALl of which, if they crash, windows has no choice but to follow. It can be boot files, user or system files.

Event 41 (63) is a reaction to a restart, not the cause of one. It happens after PC has restarted.

try running magician on ssd, run benchmarks, check SMART scores - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

only thinking, if problem is the nvme, it would explain lack of dumps.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

ghost7x

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
870 evo? I can see 860 and 970, but only very limited on 870...

You shouldn't get this on a clean install. Did you use a new ISO (did you make the installer just before installing?)

critical process died is a BSOD I wish would become as rare ass it was a few months ago, I see it too much now. Problem is its not specific enough. It is a windows error, meaning its caused by corrupted or broken windows processes. ALl of which, if they crash, windows has no choice but to follow. It can be boot files, user or system files.

Event 41 (63) is a reaction to a restart, not the cause of one. It happens after PC has restarted.

try running magician on ssd, run benchmarks, check SMART scores - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

only thinking, if problem is the nvme, it would explain lack of dumps.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it
Sorry I linked the parts list the actual ssd is 840 evo lol the problem I'm having with memtest is I can't extract it before my pc crashes. Can it be ran as a zip? Tbh I'm not that familiar with this stuff I've had very little issues with my pcs this far

ghost7x

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
0 errors after 4 tests on 1 stick. The pc stl blue screens with just 1 stick in. I reset windows 10 and received system service exception code and then windows would not run again. I reset it once more and turned the pc off. I think I might just have to tap out.

ghost7x

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
Well I think I've narrowed it down to somehow still being windows, motherboard, or CPU. I performed a clean install and several resets before that and I've done every test suggested for critical process died and stripped everything down to core components and even tested my old gpu on this board. Anything else before I start sending parts back? Anyone have a good idea of what the problem is pretty likely to be from all info I've given?

Colif

Win 11 Master
love the helpful remarks on imgur.

Um, so it still crashes if you at bare bones? CPU, Moboi, 1 stick ram, psu, ssd?
Have you tried running linux live USB? tell you if its windows at least - https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

have you run Prime 95 bootable - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

Prime 95 Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

if you can reduce it down to 2 items it makes it easier. no real tests for motherboard really.

ghost7x

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
love the helpful remarks on imgur.

Um, so it still crashes if you at bare bones? CPU, Moboi, 1 stick ram, psu, ssd?
Have you tried running linux live USB? tell you if its windows at least - https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

have you run Prime 95 bootable - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

Prime 95 Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

if you can reduce it down to 2 items it makes it easier. no real tests for motherboard really.
I'm just at the point now that I need a pc, been almost a week trying to fix this. I want to get my old parts back in and hope to God they still work at this point. I guess my first mistake was trying to get by with mixing new component with old ones because I can't realistically fix the issues while trying to do everything off of a s5 cell phone lol.

ghost7x

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
I would suggest getting pc looked at by a repair store, they would have the spare parts needed to isolate the problem.
The only issue is the one here will quarantine the pc for 7 days first and money is limited now that I bought all these new parts. Is it better to rebuild my old parts and get my old pc up and running and just wait until I get a psu, case, and m.2 for 2 full rigs or let the guy fix what I have now?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would rebuild old PC so you have something to use, and perhaps once you get the new parts, and build it, we can see if you still get errors.

I hadn't thought about them keeping pc for 7 days before using it. i don't think they doing that stuff here.

ghost7x

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
i think that is the route we are going to go too. plus it seems to make more sense than to use money for repairs when it could simply be a bad part i didnt replace ill have to pay for anyway, or one of the new parts being bad from the store. thank you so much for helping me by the way. I am going to give the linux a try now just to see if i can even get it onto a thumbnail drive before i crash haha.

ghost7x

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
i would rebuild old PC so you have something to use, and perhaps once you get the new parts, and build it, we can see if you still get errors.

I hadn't thought about them keeping pc for 7 days before using it. i don't think they doing that stuff here.
i was running windows 7 on my old PC before i put in the new parts and i used cmd to wipe my SSD because windows 10 wouldnt install on MBR, so i wiped it and changed it to GPT. Is there anything else I mightve needed to do to that SSD that could be causing this issue? Ive ran numerous scans and tests on both drives and i only have the SSD hooked up currently and they always come back with no errors, but just trying to think of any possibility before i have to send everything back. Its seeming to me that maybe i just got unlucky and got a bad CPU or the motherboard was just shot on delivery, but im thinking i may just send all the new parts back just to be safe anyway since i am probably going to buy what i need to complete 2 full rigs, so ill be waiting a bit to get all my parts in anyway.

ghost7x

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
Doesnt seem like i can get an ISO onto a thumb drive before the Pc will crash, so I guess i am out of luck testing Linux or getting a windows 10 ISO for the new system unless i reinstall all of my old parts and get it up and running lol

ghost7x

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
its just weird to me that every time I install windows 10 it will stay on the entire time and run to install it but as soon as im in the OS it stays on for about 10-20 minutes then crashes with the critical process died error and refuses to make a crash dump file. does that feel like it could be a bad part to you? Im truly stumped, although im not the most savvy tech guy in the world lol.

ghost7x

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
that was really strange. it started to blue screen just now and the screen went grey like in the screenshot i posted and it came out of it and kept running without bluescreening...

Colif

Win 11 Master
sorry i missed yesterday, i had to do stuff.

did you ever try to put windows onto the hdd instead?
It might be the ssd even though its not showing any errors.
when you installing it, its running off ram, its only after the 1st restart where you set up users that you are using the ssd

Solution