[SOLVED] Both front and back audio and microphone jacks not working on PC

ben2924

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Hello, I have a windows 8.1 Dell Inspiron 3847 PC, and both the front and back audio and microphone jacks are not working. I have the pc running with HDMI to a flat screen television so I get my sound through there so that is not a problem. The problem is that I am a big PC gamer, but I have never been able to use a gaming mic because of this. On the back headphone jack there is a male plug from a headphone that broke off inside the female jack a few years ago, It was a really wide one and nothing I've tried has ever gotten it out, but its not even showing on the computer that there are headphones plugged in. For a while before I got the hdmi TV to use as a monitor and had to use a regular computer screen I had to use bluetooth headphones or bluetooth speakers for sound. I have tried buying gaming mics but they never work, so I end up returning them.

I want to be able to plug a gaming mic in and be able to talk to people in the game and hear them talk back through the mic while also having the games regular sounds coming through the speakers on the hdmi connected TV. What are my options here? I have tried looking for usb mic headsets but havent had any luck finding them and don't even know if they would work.

Another possibly important piece of information is that my pc doesnt seem to ever have been able to switch to jack audio after being used for HDMI sound. Before the plug broke off into the back audio jack I originally had it set up HDMI to a tv, when that tv broke and I tried to use a monitor with a set of seperate computer speakers plugged into the jack it wouldnt recognize anything, as if it was stuck only recognizing sound through HDMI, I had to do a complete system restore for speakers to work. Then I broke a headphone plug into the jack and I had to use blue tooth, now I am back on HDMI. So what are my options, that do not involve getting the plug thats stuck out (its never going to come out) or a complete system restore.

Sorry for the long post. Any help greatly appreciated.