Question Both M.2 SSDs suddenly have a super low write speed ?

Sep 13, 2021
So as the tittle says, earlier this week I found out that both my M.2s are running at a extremely low write speed. For the past few days I had noticed that some games were running quite slow and some loading times were much longer than before. I also started to clean up some drives and when copying some files to one of the M.2s, the speed started out fine then dropped to like 1% of the original speed.
The regular SSD and HDD works completely fine. This leads me to believe there might be something wrong with the PCIe ports on my Mobo.
Here are my PC specs:
  • ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING Motherboard (bought November 2020)
  • Ryzen 5600X (bought November 2020)
  • Nvidia 1080ti
  • Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 750W
  • 32GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz (4x8)
  • Intel 660p 512GB M.2 SSD (Affected Drive) (bought November 2019)
  • Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD (Affected Drive) (bought January 2021)
  • A 2tb Seagate Hard Drive
  • Some Older Kingston 240gb SSD
  • Some Older Intel 240gb SSD
Here are the CrystalDiskMark8 results:
Both are about 55-70% full, Everything seems normal in the S.M.A.R.T Readout and I have done a full system virus scan.
Also, windows is installed on the Kingston drive.

Some things I have tried:
Updating both the AMD Chipset drivers and the motherboard BIOS with no luck and I have tried to remove one of the drives and test again with no luck.

When checking task-manager while Running CrystalDiskMark, read speeds and response time seems correct. 2200~ MB/s and 1-2 in Average Response time. However its a whole different story with the write speed. As the CrystalDiskMark results show, speed is much much lower, but when I check task-manager, the average response time was anywhere between 10000-20000ms or even up to 200k(!)ms sometimes.

I have searched around a lot without any luck, so any help would be appreciated!

Sep 13, 2021
So a little update, after removing both m.2s I noticed they were both a bit wet/sticky. I have a heatshield for both of them, which is why I didn't notice it before.
I have cleaned them up with a q-tip and now waiting a bit for them to dry completely. Will give an update a bit later

Edit:
Yeah, that didnt really help. The speed went up with a bit, but not much.
I also tested both in a friends PC, but that had the same results. That means I can rule out the Mobo for the most part.

Interesting, I am now getting a bit higher speed (1000+), maybe because its drying off now?

Last edited: