[SOLVED] Both monitors goes black, but pc still runs

May 30, 2020
It start happening recently, often times my monitors would both lose connection to the pc yet I can still hear the program running in the background. This often happens during my play through of FFXIV, for where it will occur during a cutscene, finish a dungeon, or teleport to a new area.

I've fixed this problem by limiting the frame rates to 72 fps (half of my main display hz). I've reinstalled drivers, clean my pc, reinstalled ram, reinstall the games, yet it still happen if I uncap my frame rates. Temps are all fine (50-60 celsius CPU, 60-70 celsius GPU)

I have a sunken suspicions that the power supply is dying and is simply not providing power to run the graphics card at max power thus it just shuts it off. What do you guys think?

Spec:
ASRock H97M Pro4
I5 4590
ASUS RX 580 duel fan oc edition
16gb ddr3 1600mhz
MX500 1TB SSD
WD Blue 1TB HDD

Solution
In my opinion, based on your description, it could sound like a potentially dying PSU.

What is the make and model of the PSU you are currently using? Possibly its age as well (sometimes poor quality PSU's peformance can degrade over time, especially if they are under a lot of stress close to the max performance limit)

An easy way to find out if it is actually the PSU, would be if you could possibly borrow a known working PSU with adequate performance, from a freind or a family member, and see if the same thing happens with the borrowed PSU.

If not, it could also be something like a driver issue, but I'd personally troubleshoot the PSU to begin with.

I finally solved it even though it was so dumb on my part lol. Some days ago...
In my opinion, based on your description, it could sound like a potentially dying PSU.

What is the make and model of the PSU you are currently using? Possibly its age as well (sometimes poor quality PSU's peformance can degrade over time, especially if they are under a lot of stress close to the max performance limit)

An easy way to find out if it is actually the PSU, would be if you could possibly borrow a known working PSU with adequate performance, from a freind or a family member, and see if the same thing happens with the borrowed PSU.

If not, it could also be something like a driver issue, but I'd personally troubleshoot the PSU to begin with.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020

Unfortunately I don't know anybody to borrow a psu from, anywho the PSU is the EVGA 600W Bronze and its around 4 years old.

May 30, 2020

I finally solved it even though it was so dumb on my part lol. Some days ago I had to connect an extra hard drive as to help my bro transfer some files into his new pc, when I replugged everything I decided to use one cable (that has multiple power source) to power my ssd and hdd rather than using one individual cable for each drive. As it turns out this couldn't deliver the sufficient power into my ssd and often time my ssd would alright shut down (this also shutting down the AMD drivers I had installed on it). This is why my games only crashes when I enter new area or watch cutscenes since that increases the ssd usage thus shut down when not enough voltage is supplied thus crashing my graphics driver

Reactions: MadsModsat
Solution