[SOLVED] Both mvme drives underperforming ?

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-53E5
I added a ram and 1 extra nvme drives, everything works

Original os drive had 2000mb read/ 1200mb write to 1100r/800w
Added drive was 3200mb read/ 1200 write to 2000r/1220w

I see that one cpu core is maxed out and ssd isnt at 100% in task manager...
I cant even find laptops m.2 slots spec

Solution
Make sure your RAM is running in dual channel mode. Just adding a stick of RAM can drop it down into single channel - actually lowering performance.
Make sure your laptop is in performance power mode and is plugged in when doing R/W tests.

Please list the laptop's specs as configured (some of the specs can vary). Also, list the full model number of the RAM and both SSD drives.
Make sure your RAM is running in dual channel mode. Just adding a stick of RAM can drop it down into single channel - actually lowering performance.
Make sure your laptop is in performance power mode and is plugged in when doing R/W tests.

Please list the laptop's specs as configured (some of the specs can vary). Also, list the full model number of the RAM and both SSD drives.

Solution

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
Make sure your RAM is running in dual channel mode. Just adding a stick of RAM can drop it down into single channel -
Original Test result was taken from a single stick of 8gb, and test results of 2 sticks is even worse.
Ram didnt show up in cpuz untill 2nd one was added
Speed in task manager is shown as 2933mhz, how do i know if it dropped to single channel?

I am suspect ing 2nd m.2 slot is just pcie x2, but i cant find any info on this

Full specs
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092YHJGMN?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image&th=1

Original Test result was taken from a single stick of 8gb, and test results of 2 sticks is even worse.
Ram didnt show up in cpuz untill 2nd one was added
Speed in task manager is shown as 2933mhz, how do i know if it dropped to single channel?

I am suspect ing 2nd m.2 slot is just pcie x2, but i cant find any info on this

Full specs
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092YHJGMN?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image&th=1
The RAM will show up in CPUZ with just one slot populated. You just have the select the slot that's populated under the SPD tab. It was probably defaulted to an unpopulated slot.
If you look at the Memory tab (not SPD) it will tell you whether you're in single or dual channel. The Memory tab will also have the MHz speed (just take what's there and x2 it).

You may be right on the M.2 slot.

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Can it be that these M.2 slots are both integrated into chipset and divided into 2, so when you put second drive both will have lower performance..
Like my second M.2 slot have only PCI-E 3.0 x2 lane, not x4, so performance in linear speed is twice lower

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
Can it be that these M.2 slots are both integrated into chipset and divided into 2, so when you put second drive both will have lower performance..
Like my second M.2 slot have only PCI-E 3.0 x2 lane, not x4, so performance in linear speed is twice lower
This is what i think, 10300h has 16 pcie lanes and 2 full speed is already 8...

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
This is what i think, 10300h has 16 pcie lanes and 2 full speed is already 8...
It also depends on motherboars...
I am able to run x8 i guess, but my MB allows me only x4 for first slot (and directly to CPU) and only x2 on second
I would've been happy if i could take that PCI-E x4 slot - disable it and give my seconc M.2 x4 lanes instead of x2
Even though random IO performance suffers not much, latency kinda do