[SOLVED] Both my drives are C drive

May 28, 2020
Some context first: Just got a 1tb SSD to make my main drive instead of my old 1tb HDD (want to be used for files and data now). I installed windows on the SSD and then my drivers and whatnot (note: with my HDD unplugged) then plugged it back in, restarted the PC and booted from my SSD. Now for my problem so I got my new SSD working and installing all windows and drivers and whatnot as I want it to be my main drive and my HDD to be my data drive. The problem is now they are both C drives and when im in one i cant see the other or change the drive letter. What do I do?

Also some more info is if I diskpart while my HDD (old drive) is booted and therefore main drive I can see the SSD but if I diskpart while my SSD (new drive) is booted and therefore main drive I cannot see the HDD.

Solution
Make sure the Bios is set to boot the SSD and not the old HDD. If your bios only lets you select a generic HDD as the first boot device then look for an HDD priority section and set the SSD first there.

While you're in the bios, disable Secure Boot and enable CSM.

When back into Windows, run diskmgmt.msc and can you see both drives now? if so then you can change the drive letter of the old HDD. by rt clicking on the large partition and selecting 'Change Drive letters and paths'
or just delete all the partitons on it, if you don't need anything from it, and initialize the drive as if it were new. That works too :)
Some context first: Just got a 1tb SSD to make my main drive instead of my old 1tb HDD (want to be used for files and data now). I installed windows on the SSD and then my drivers and whatnot (note: with my HDD unplugged) then plugged it back in, restarted the PC and booted from my SSD. Now for my problem so I got my new SSD working and installing all windows and drivers and whatnot as I want it to be my main drive and my HDD to be my data drive. The problem is now they are both C drives and when im in one i cant see the other or change the drive letter. What do I do?

Also some more info is if I diskpart while my HDD (old drive) is booted and therefore main drive I can see the SSD but if I diskpart while my SSD (new drive) is booted and therefore main drive I cannot see the HDD.
No OS would allow two drives or partitions to have same letter. Letter is assigned by OS and doesn't carry with disk change.
Is HDD seen by BIOS, Device manager and Disk management when you BOOT from SSD ?

popatim

Titan
Make sure the Bios is set to boot the SSD and not the old HDD. If your bios only lets you select a generic HDD as the first boot device then look for an HDD priority section and set the SSD first there.

While you're in the bios, disable Secure Boot and enable CSM.

When back into Windows, run diskmgmt.msc and can you see both drives now? if so then you can change the drive letter of the old HDD. by rt clicking on the large partition and selecting 'Change Drive letters and paths'
or just delete all the partitons on it, if you don't need anything from it, and initialize the drive as if it were new. That works too :)

Solution