[SOLVED] Both shift keys are dead on HP Pavilion dv3-4050ez ?

I Mess With Windows

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Hello,
I was recently given an HP Pavilion dv3-4050ez laptop. It works great, except one problem: both shift keys on the keyboard are dead. Before you tell me to turn off specific options in win 10, I will tell you what I tried:

• I did a BIOS update, which fixed my ALT key. This one was also broken before. It didn't do anything to my shift keys however.
  • I tried Linux Lubuntu 18.04, just to make sure the issue wasn't related to the OS.
  • I removed any corrosion on the keyboard connector with a small knife and some alcohol.
  • If I press any of the shift keys, it won't do anything, but if I press both, it will make it so pressing e or c writes ce, no matter which one I press. The same seems to apply to v and r, writing vr. A lot of letters are doing this kind of stuff when I press both shift keys. This is very weird, but it proves that the physical buttons are not dead in the keyboard.
  • I tried a CMOS reset, removing the CMOS battery, I flashed the BIOS many times as well. It wouldn't do anything. I still think this is likely a firmware related issue.
  • I also tried some keyboard test software to see what my shift keys are detected as, but they are not detected alone, even when I press both.
Does anybody have any other idea to fix this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I want it for stuff like !;: and more, I always use caps lock for big letters. I did try Linux.
OK, have you tried with a USB keyboard to verify that it is just the hardware?
I saw on an HP forum somewhere to check that Sticky Keys is disabled. But as it also happens on Linux I doubt that is the issue
By the way, keyboard replacements are not so expensive as long as you are OK with 3rd party ones. And from your post it does not look like you will need a technician to do it for you...

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Try reseating the keyboard's ribbon cable.
Weird that they only do anything at all when both are pressed. I think that if it is a firmware issue, an update from HP is the only fix.
Maybe there are updates that seem not to be related to the keyboard but actually are.

I Mess With Windows

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
I updated the BIOS to the latest. If you read my post, you will know that the issue has nothing to do with Win 10. Same for the cable, not only I reseated it, I also removed any possible oxydation.
After further test, I think this is not repairable. Even remapping the keys does nothing as Windows doesn't detect the shift keys as anything.
I think I just need to replace that keyboard, but as they are very expensive, and also the problem could be on the motherboard, I think it would be better for me to have some USB shift key. I don't know if it exists, but what I want is a shift key alone that you plug by USB.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
I updated the BIOS to the latest. If you read my post, you will know that the issue has nothing to do with Win 10. Same for the cable, not only I reseated it, I also removed any possible oxydation.
After further test, I think this is not repairable. Even remapping the keys does nothing as Windows doesn't detect the shift keys as anything.
I think I just need to replace that keyboard, but as they are very expensive, and also the problem could be on the motherboard, I think it would be better for me to have some USB shift key. I don't know if it exists, but what I want is a shift key alone that you plug by USB.
I never said it was Windows 10's fault, but if it is mapping related HP should fix it with a firmware update for the keyboard.
You can also check if it does the same thing in a portable USB version of Linux.

And an alternative to getting a USB Shift key (if that even exists) is to use Caps lock.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
I want it for stuff like !;: and more, I always use caps lock for big letters. I did try Linux.
OK, have you tried with a USB keyboard to verify that it is just the hardware?
I saw on an HP forum somewhere to check that Sticky Keys is disabled. But as it also happens on Linux I doubt that is the issue
By the way, keyboard replacements are not so expensive as long as you are OK with 3rd party ones. And from your post it does not look like you will need a technician to do it for you. https://www.amazon.com/SUNMALL-Repl...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Solution

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016

TRENDING THREADS