[SOLVED] Both SSD and HDD showing up as Removeable drives.

Jul 1, 2019
I used to have 2 HDDs.

1st :- 250GB (boot drive)
2nd:- 1 TB (secondary drive)

Recently I replaced my 250 GB HDD with Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB as a boot drive. Before installing windows, I disconnected my both HDDs and switched from IDE to AHCI in bios. After successfully installing windows, I reconnected my 1 TB drive. But the problem is, both SSD and HDD are showing up in Removeable Devices and has an option of 'Eject'.

Anyone know what's wrong with it and how can I solve this issue ? Thanks

Solution
Well I don't know what model your motherboard is from "pretty old motherboard" but if it has options in BIOS to choose between IDE and AHCI I'm guessing it has the option to enable/disable hot swapping as well, or maybe not as you didn't find it.

If you're worried about AHCI Windows has it's own AHCI drivers and as long as they're there there shouldn't be a problem.
Jul 1, 2019
What are you full system specs?

It is probably because your motherboard has hot swapping capability for storage drives. See if you can disable that in BIOS without disabling AHCI and this might be resolved

I'm currently on a pretty old motherboard due to which I can't find the driver support and any How-To guide for my MB (cant find where to disable hot-swapping). The problem went away upon installing Intel RST which I think comes with the AHCI drivers. But upon installing it, Samsung magician asked me to download latest version of RTS (17.xx) which requires 7th Generation CPU but since I am on 2nd generation i5, highest I can go with is RTS 12.xx version. So Magician is giving compatibility issue with RTS 12.xx. So I uninstalled RTS and followed a simple tutorial given in the link below:

https://superuser.com/questions/129...ject-sata-drives-from-the-windows-7-tray-icon

Just a simple registry editing and the problem is gone.

Now I'm just wondering since I uninstalled the RTS which means I'm left without AHCI drivers. So will this cause any problem in the future ?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Well I don't know what model your motherboard is from "pretty old motherboard" but if it has options in BIOS to choose between IDE and AHCI I'm guessing it has the option to enable/disable hot swapping as well, or maybe not as you didn't find it.

If you're worried about AHCI Windows has it's own AHCI drivers and as long as they're there there shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: malikk908
Solution

popatim

Titan
As-SSD will tell you which driver is being used if you look at the top left corner of it.
The MSachi drivers aren't bad, its just the intel's are a little faster. It's nothing to stress over. Both are stable which is what really counts. If you want, just re-install iRST 12

Reactions: malikk908
Jul 1, 2019
As-SSD will tell you which driver is being used if you look at the top left corner of it.
The MSachi drivers aren't bad, its just the intel's are a little faster. It's nothing to stress over. Both are stable which is what really counts. If you want, just re-install iRST 12

'... if you look at the top loft corner of "it" ' What is this "it" ?

Jul 1, 2019

I'm on an ECS H61H2-CM mobo, will upgrade to something latest soon. The problem is gone by the way, just mentioned it since you asked.