[SOLVED] Both SSDs performing very low(According to UserBenchmarks)

Fugitivelama

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I am trying to diagnose why both of my SSDs are not performing nearly as well as expected. One is a samsung 970 EVO m2 NVMe (25th percentile) , other is a Samsung 860 EVO Sata SSD.(18th percentile)

Specs are:
Amd Ryzen 7 3700x - Bios Game Boost Overclocked
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Asus GTX 1070
32GB DDR4 @ 3600 cl 16

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/27831135

I am using the samsung NVMe drivers and no other additional software. This System aside from video card is a 2 day old build , there is no bloatware in windows, fresh install.

Solution
Seemed to have fixed the problem as I am getting 95th percentile now. Posting steps I took to help others in the future. I did 3 things and I do not know which one of them solved the problem , but my guess is Trimming them in windows.

1. Install Samsung Magician and enabled over provisioning. (Doubt it was this but IDK for sure)

2. Optimized SSD via trim in windows - press the windows start button and type in optimize and it should pop up , I believe its in the Defrag and Optimize App. (This is likely what fixed it IMHO)

3. Closed ALL open programs in the background - I mean everything - I had logitech, corsair, steam, and nvidia programs showing in the task bar pop up , I closed ALL of them out so that the only thing showing was...

Fugitivelama

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I have installed the samsung driver , however in the device manager when I check the driver for the m2 drive it shows as a microsoft driver. When I go to install the driver again , the samsung asks me to repair or uninstall indicating it is installed. I tried repair and after reboot it still shows the windows 10 driver.

Picture of driver listed

Edit: Apparently the samsung driver only shows up in the controllers section so this a non issue.

Last edited:

Fugitivelama

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Seemed to have fixed the problem as I am getting 95th percentile now. Posting steps I took to help others in the future. I did 3 things and I do not know which one of them solved the problem , but my guess is Trimming them in windows.

1. Install Samsung Magician and enabled over provisioning. (Doubt it was this but IDK for sure)

2. Optimized SSD via trim in windows - press the windows start button and type in optimize and it should pop up , I believe its in the Defrag and Optimize App. (This is likely what fixed it IMHO)

3. Closed ALL open programs in the background - I mean everything - I had logitech, corsair, steam, and nvidia programs showing in the task bar pop up , I closed ALL of them out so that the only thing showing was windows defender.

Solution