bottle necking yes or no

Solution

BF4 is a CPU heavy but nothing 8350 cant handle.

I would recommend a 212 evo and try overclock it as much as you can.

iLiftFood

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014
If you're playing HIGHLY CPU intensive, low-threaded games, you may face issues. The FX-8350 is pretty bad at low-threaded games as it relies on multithreaded applications. CPU intensive games rely on the CPU so the CPU usage may hit 90%+ while the GPU isn't really doing anything.

As an example, I play Guild Wars 2 which loads 1 core to 75% or so and 3 more cores to 50% or so. This maxes my GTX 970 before it maxes my CPU. This can vary with detail settings though.

As iLiftFood mentions, older games that only use 1-2 cores will cap on the CPU befpore the GPU.

Current/modern games normally use 4+ cores now and will be fine.

I've seen this prove true on an FX 8350 @ 4.5GHz and a new FX 9590 @ 5.0GHz. A single 970 or 980 will be fine for these systems.

Here is the fx 8350(8 core) vs. the i5 4690k(4 core): http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/697?vs=1261

Compare the results at the bottom. All games were ran at 1080p with a GTX770 or SLI GTX770. Some games are held back, and the minimum frame rate can be lower as well. Now you could overclock the FX 8350 to make some of these gains back, but the extra money spent on cooling would possibly allow for an intel i5 chip instead. Then there is the issue of the AM3+ socket being on it's last leg as well, meaning no future upgrades past the point you will be at. With the newer intel chipset you can use haswell, devils canyon, and their upcoming broadwell chips in them. So there is more of a future in the current intel motherboards.

PS: I would never consider SLI GTX980 with that CPU, because you may not see much gain at all. If you ever plan to use SLI, then you should look at an Intel chip instead.

Undying89

Distinguished

BF4 is a CPU heavy but nothing 8350 cant handle.

I would recommend a 212 evo and try overclock it as much as you can.

Solution

axemastersinc

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015

Thank you very much.