[SOLVED] Bottleneck advice

Feb 6, 2021
I just got a 3060 TI, and turns out my pc is bottlenecked like 25% - 30%, yes it's pretty high. I just wanted to know if I should just take out the 3060 and put back my 1060 or should I just leave it in for now? I am planning to upgrade my PC in the next 2-3 months
The games I play are
  • Apex Legend - Low setting
  • Overwatch - Medium Setting
  • League of Legends
My CPU is a Ryzen 1600

Solution
1920 x 1080
I limit my FPS to my monitor Hz, I do uncap the framerate sometimes, FPS is good, idm playing on 60 like I said I am upgrading my monitor to 144hz soon.
I did some testing with Overwatch in ultra and epic settings, GPU usage was around 90% and my CPU usage fluctuated from 80% to 95%, on medium settings it was 30%.
For Apex the CPU usage was 50% - 60% but would kind of stable to 30& GPU usage was 30% - 35%. This was when I put it to normal settings.
All of these usage were recorded by Task Manager and not afterburner? idk what its called
So what’s the problem? Overwatch and Apex are not that gpu demanding and running a lower resolution (1080p) its very likely even a stronger cpu would still be the limiting factor...
I just got a 3060 TI, and turns out my pc is bottlenecked like 25% - 30%, yes it's pretty high. I just wanted to know if I should just take out the 3060 and put back my 1060 or should I just leave it in for now? I am planning to upgrade my PC in the next 2-3 months
The games I play are
  • Apex Legend - Low setting
  • Overwatch - Medium Setting
  • League of Legends
My CPU is a Ryzen 1600
Ouch deepending on ram your seeing alot heavy bottleneck then that

Feb 6, 2021
How did you come up with 25%-30%?
There is zero benefit of putting the old gpu back in.
What resolution and Hz is your monitor?
What RAM do you have?

Monitor is a 60hz
Ram is Corsair CMK32GX4M2D3000C16 Vengeance LPX 32GB 2 sticks of 16GB. and with the whole 25% thing I kinda just did some digging around, I could be wrong. as you can see not the biggest tech expert here.

Monitor is a 60hz
Ram is Corsair CMK32GX4M2D3000C16 Vengeance LPX 32GB 2 sticks of 16GB. and with the whole 25% thing I kinda just did some digging around, I could be wrong. as you can see not the biggest tech expert here.
What resolution?
Are you not happy with your FPS?
What is the gpu usage in your games?

If you think you have a cpu bottleneck why are you running low/medium game settings. The lower the settings the greater any ‘bottleneck’

Feb 6, 2021
What resolution?
Are you not happy with your FPS?
What is the gpu usage in your games?

If you think you have a cpu bottleneck why are you running low/medium game settings. The lower the settings the greater any ‘bottleneck’

1920 x 1080
I limit my FPS to my monitor Hz, I do uncap the framerate sometimes, FPS is good, idm playing on 60 like I said I am upgrading my monitor to 144hz soon.
I did some testing with Overwatch in ultra and epic settings, GPU usage was around 90% and my CPU usage fluctuated from 80% to 95%, on medium settings it was 30%.
For Apex the CPU usage was 50% - 60% but would kind of stable to 30& GPU usage was 30% - 35%. This was when I put it to normal settings.
All of these usage were recorded by Task Manager and not afterburner? idk what its called

1920 x 1080
So what’s the problem? Overwatch and Apex are not that gpu demanding and running a lower resolution (1080p) its very likely even a stronger cpu would still be the limiting factor (bottleneck), just it would push out more FPS. However if you are happy with the FPS and game settings I don’t see a problem. Even the best systems can ‘bottleneck’ in certain circumstances, I think it’s more important to ask are you happy with the performance and is it the right performance for your system.

Solution
Feb 6, 2021
So what’s the problem? Overwatch and Apex are not that gpu demanding and running a lower resolution (1080p) its very likely even a stronger cpu would still be the limiting factor (bottleneck), just it would push out more FPS. However if you are happy with the FPS and game settings I don’t see a problem. Even the best systems can ‘bottleneck’ in certain circumstances, I think it’s more important to ask are you happy with the performance and is it the right performance for your system.

Oh Okay. I just wanted to know if I should use my old GPU or the new one for now. I'll just use the 3060 then.
Thank You.

The bottle neck is your cpu. Intel Rocket Lake is due to be released next month.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B560M-DS3H-rev-10#ov
GIGABYTE B560M DS3H (rev. 1.0) ($120 - $125)

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...e-date-specifications-performance-all-we-know
Intel Rocket Lake 11400F ($160 - $170 would be my guess)

This is a review with gaming benchmarks for the current Comet Lake (10th gen) 10400F. Expect the new 11th gen (Rocket Lake) version of that cpu to run circles around it in regards to gaming due to improved IPC and native support of 3200MHz RAM.

Ash95

Great
Dec 25, 2020
I cant really see any scenario, where your cpu would be the bottleneck, where we are talking about a 6c/12t cpu, 3060ti and a 60hz monitor.

I have an i5-7600 - 3070 - 1440p 144hz setup atm and that is far more cpu bottlenecked and its still pretty great, apart from really cpu demanding games.

I cant really see any scenario, where your cpu would be the bottleneck, where we are talking about a 6c/12t cpu, 3060ti and a 60hz monitor.

I have an i5-7600 - 3070 - 1440p 144hz setup atm and that is far more cpu bottlenecked and its still pretty great, apart from really cpu demanding games.
If the CPU has relatively lower single core performance, then it can hit a bottleneck in certain scenarios where one part of the game is solely handled by one thread. This is common in DX11 games on the rendering pipeline, but it can happen anywhere else.

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013

ofcourse a 7600 is far more of a bottleneck, its got no hyperthreading. the ryzen 5 1600 while it has smt, isn't really a cpu to pair with a higher tier gpu. it matched up well for his old 1060, both being mid tier parts. you would get alot more potential out of the 3070 with a smt/hyperthreading cpu, regardless of the game being cpu demanding. i couldn't see any practical situation someone would use a 3060 ti with a ryzen 5 1600 unless they were just waiting to upgrade as the situation in the OP.

Ash95

Great
Dec 25, 2020
ofcourse a 7600 is far more of a bottleneck, its got no hyperthreading. the ryzen 5 1600 while it has smt, isn't really a cpu to pair with a higher tier gpu. it matched up well for his old 1060, both being mid tier parts. you would get alot more potential out of the 3070 with a smt/hyperthreading cpu, regardless of the game being cpu demanding. i couldn't see any practical situation someone would use a 3060 ti with a ryzen 5 1600 unless they were just waiting to upgrade as the situation in the OP.
I agree, but the monitor is near enough always, going to be the bottleneck here