[SOLVED] Bottleneck and didnt find the reason

As3D

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 13, 2020
I have GT1030 with Pentium G2020 and 8GB ram but in-game CPU usage is 100% and GPU usage maximum 40% why ??? and I have VERY VERY long drop frames

Last edited:
Solution
So set it to Medium, then recheck your usage. It also probably depends highly on WHAT you are using to determine usage. I'd recommend looking at HWinfo, run "Sensors only" and check core usage and GPU usage there.

But it's certainly true that your CPU is likely to be at 100% usage for any average game. The fact that your GPU, which is weak, is only showing 40% usage though, even at low settings, is surprising. Try medium, see if GPU usage goes up.

It may ONLY be that because the CPU is NOT capable of keeping up at all, the GPU is simply having to wait around not doing much 60% of the time because even though it is a lower performance GPU it is much higher performance than your CPU.
Because you're probably running with very low settings, which is maxing out the CPU usage but barely using any GPU resources at all because the graphics card can probably handle the very low settings for whatever game you are playing, easily enough.

Try increasing the game settings to low or low-medium, and see if those usage percentages don't trade places. In truth, overall, neither the CPU or graphics card are capable enough to be adequate for any kind of gaming machine.

As3D

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 13, 2020
Because you're probably running with very low settings, which is maxing out the CPU usage but barely using any GPU resources at all because the graphics card can probably handle the very low settings for whatever game you are playing, easily enough.

Try increasing the game settings to low or low-medium, and see if those usage percentages don't trade places. In truth, overall, neither the CPU or graphics card are capable enough to be adequate for any kind of gaming machine.
im playing on low settings and 1280x768 resolution

As3D

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 13, 2020
im playing on low settings and 1280x768 resolution

the hard disk isnt a reason ?

The only time your hard drive could be a factor is when you are loading something. Saves, maps, levels, textures, etc. Your hard drive is rarely, if ever a factor while actually playing/active.

Of course, if you have a BAD hard drive, that is a different story, but you'd have different symptoms.

Increase settings to low-high or medium-low-ish, and see what happens.

What game are you playing?

As3D

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 13, 2020
The only time your hard drive could be a factor is when you are loading something. Saves, maps, levels, textures, etc. Your hard drive is rarely, if ever a factor while actually playing/active.

Of course, if you have a BAD hard drive, that is a different story, but you'd have different symptoms.

Increase settings to low-high or medium-low-ish, and see what happens.

What game are you playing?
Like Fortnite Valorant and others

So set it to Medium, then recheck your usage. It also probably depends highly on WHAT you are using to determine usage. I'd recommend looking at HWinfo, run "Sensors only" and check core usage and GPU usage there.

But it's certainly true that your CPU is likely to be at 100% usage for any average game. The fact that your GPU, which is weak, is only showing 40% usage though, even at low settings, is surprising. Try medium, see if GPU usage goes up.

It may ONLY be that because the CPU is NOT capable of keeping up at all, the GPU is simply having to wait around not doing much 60% of the time because even though it is a lower performance GPU it is much higher performance than your CPU.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

7 year old dual core processor really just don't cut it anymore for gaming. Just as you stated GPU has nothing to do waiting on the processor. No boost speed just 2.9. Even with games that mainly use 2 cores the age and slow clock speed is just used up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Yes, finding an compatible i3 that will work in that motherboard might not be terribly expensive, and might help, a little. An i5 would be better. A platform upgrade would be best. But as is, it's simply not capable enough hardware for what you're trying to use it with.