[SOLVED] Bottleneck? And if so how to fix?

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
So i recently bought an msi gf65 with an i5-9300h and a 2060. Ive noticed that on the highest graphics settings in overwatch the gpu seems to be hanging around 30% less utilization than my cpu and im only hitting about 60fps on my 120hz panel. Then in swb2 I enabled the in game fps count and it said that my cpu was generating 30 or so fps less than my gpu. One, what is my actual frame rate in that situation, and two, how can I fix/reduce this bottleneck? Can I somehow increase the boost speed of my cpu and force it to always hit max boost? Also, could the 2.5mbps wifi I'm playong on be contributing to the poor frame rates somehow?

Solution
Except since its cpu limited, how will lowering graphics settings increase fps? I mean it seems like going from ultra to high helps a little but going down from there seems to do absolutely nothing.

I understand there was an ocing work around for skylake on locked processors. Is there any way to do that on 9th gen?

Also apparently some b460 mobos would boost the pl1 levels of a cpu to increase clock. Could I greatly increase the pl1 levels of my cpu in bios (maybe double) and then undervolt big time in throttlestop to trick cpu into running faster but still runing pretty cool? I feel like my cpu could hit at least 4.5ghz if not 5 in my laptop if I could oc...
So i recently bought an msi gf65 with an i5-9300h and a 2060. Ive noticed that on the highest graphics settings in overwatch the gpu seems to be hanging around 30% less utilization than my cpu and im only hitting about 60fps on my 120hz panel. Then in swb2 I enabled the in game fps count and it said that my cpu was generating 30 or so fps less than my gpu. One, what is my actual frame rate in that situation, and two, how can I fix/reduce this bottleneck? Can I somehow increase the boost speed of my cpu and force it to always hit max boost? Also, could the 2.5mbps wifi I'm playong on be contributing to the poor frame rates somehow?
Well you’re experiencing the issue with laptop gaming. 4 core CPUs(9300H) are old tech and you want a 6 core or higher for modern gaming. You’ve got what you’ve got. Only option is selling that laptop and buying one that’s actually FOR gaming.

Well you’re experiencing the issue with laptop gaming. 4 core CPUs(9300H) are old tech and you want a 6 core or higher for modern gaming. You’ve got what you’ve got. Only option is selling that laptop and buying one that’s actually FOR gaming.
Yeah no,overwatch is not modern gaming...
So i recently bought an msi gf65 with an i5-9300h and a 2060. Ive noticed that on the highest graphics settings in overwatch the gpu seems to be hanging around 30% less utilization than my cpu and im only hitting about 60fps on my 120hz panel.
You should look at windows power options and make sure they are set to performance you can also set the minimum CPU usage to 100% to always have max speed but this will probably mess with temps quite a bit.

Having the laptop plugged in usually increases performance with default settings (without you having to change anything)

Yeah no,overwatch is not modern gaming...

You should look at windows power options and make sure they are set to performance you can also set the minimum CPU usage to 100% to always have max speed but this will probably mess with temps quite a bit.

Having the laptop plugged in usually increases performance with default settings (without you having to change anything)
You obviously missed the point. His GPU, nice and modern, has no issue. His antiquated technology 4 core is being maxed out. 1080p is more CPU intensive. Only issue could be plug it in, but if you need to be told to plug a laptop in for gaming I’m shocked.

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Except since its cpu limited, how will lowering graphics settings increase fps? I mean it seems like going from ultra to high helps a little but going down from there seems to do absolutely nothing.

I understand there was an ocing work around for skylake on locked processors. Is there any way to do that on 9th gen?

Also apparently some b460 mobos would boost the pl1 levels of a cpu to increase clock. Could I greatly increase the pl1 levels of my cpu in bios (maybe double) and then undervolt big time in throttlestop to trick cpu into running faster but still runing pretty cool? I feel like my cpu could hit at least 4.5ghz if not 5 in my laptop if I could oc.

https://www.pcgamer.com/asrock-figured-out-a-way-to-overclock-intels-locked-non-k-comet-lake-cpus/

Would it be safe to try that on my laptop or would I risk blowing the power delivery system? Also, will increasing the tdp of pl1 actually increase voltage or only increase the allowed maximum voltage?

Last edited:

Also apparently some b460 mobos would boost the pl1 levels of a cpu to increase clock. Could I greatly increase the pl1 levels of my cpu in bios (maybe double) and then undervolt big time in throttlestop to trick cpu into running faster but still runing pretty cool? I feel like my cpu could hit at least 4.5ghz if not 5 in my laptop if I could oc.

https://www.pcgamer.com/asrock-figured-out-a-way-to-overclock-intels-locked-non-k-comet-lake-cpus/

Would it be safe to try that on my laptop or would I risk blowing the power delivery system? Also, will increasing the tdp of pl1 actually increase voltage or only increase the allowed maximum voltage?
The PL1 is a desktop only solution for particular motherboards. Your laptop has a capped power limit due to power brick going to the wall. Laptops are great for portability and low usage games like LoL or story mode games. Playing online First person shooters and Wanting high FPS I’d recommend going for a desktop in the future. You’ll get much better performance per dollar.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS